Can hypos make you vomit?

goji

Hi

I'm just wondering, has anybody felt like vomiting or actually vomited due to a hypo?

I had a bad one the other day and I felt so sick to my stomach. I'm not sure if it was due to having to eat soooooo much sugar so quickly, or whether it was as a result of the hypo itself. My BS went down to 2.

Would be interested to hear your experiences.

Gojo :)

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Goji (or Gojo),

I've never felt sick due to hypo - just hungry, hungry, hungry.

How much sugar do you use to treat a hypo?

I use about 20g ,30 tops.

Sam.

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
No, i never feel nauseous.

What did you treat it with? Anything 'syrupy' will make me feel ill, whether hypo or not.
Those tiny cans of coke are fabulous, 18g of sugar, just the right size I find. Those and a couple of biccies.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
goji said:
Hi

I'm just wondering, has anybody felt like vomiting or actually vomited due to a hypo?

Would be interested to hear your experiences.

Gojo :)

I too have felt sick and been physically sick a few times whilst having a hypo, I was down around 2'ish at the time. On top of the usual feeling cr*p, a dash to the bathroom wasn't expected......just got there !

It can be symptomatic of the hypo although some sites and references don't always list it as a symptom. It's certainly one of mine if I am too low. I also get a 'bunged up' nose.....no idea why, probably something to do with blood vessels ?

That was all BEFORE any hypo treatment was started. No glucose or lucozade taken.....that came after.

Ken

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
I often feel nauseous and the worst debilitatiing hypo I had I came round to a room full of family and paramedics with vomit all over myself. Not pretty! I was told it was pretty common but then there are so many symptoms and they can change over time. You are not alone though!

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
HI gojo
I get a slight nauseous feeling quite often when I'm hypo, but never been sick. I consider it a blessing to get this warning sign even though it's not pleasant. Recently I get a bit weepy too, that's a new one, does anyone else have that?
Jus

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
yep, I get that too! :lol: been through the entire symptom spectrum I think...although luckily, only when really, really low........ when I'm around 3-4 I get normal things like hunger and the shakes.

mindii

Dislikes
rude or over opinionated, over bearing people. liars,
the rain and the cold!
Hi Gojo,
I too have been through the whole spectrum of symptoms, from slightly "shakey" and a slightly swollen tongue(??) to the whole blackout and wake up with family round me drenched in sweat!!! just as i come round from being unconcious i can hardly speak and my hands curl up in a sort of paralysis!! but the up side is i always come round and get to have a really long hot shower whilst my beloved dogsbody(oops i mean hubby) strips the bed and remakes it :lol: :lol: Don't think i've ever been sick though thankfully!!! maybe felt it when someone tried to give me milk once eeewwww!!!

janabelle

Dislikes
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi
another hypo query. Does anyone feel ok till they check their BG and find it's low and suddenly it's all systems go? Very rarely I get a strange tongue feeling, bit like u mentioned Mindi, but it feels numb and pins & needles-ey. This usually happens when I've been low longer than I think , I think :? and when my BGs returning to normal. It's a bit scary when it happens, but I've learnt to distract myself so I don't panic.
Jus

mindii

Dislikes
rude or over opinionated, over bearing people. liars,
the rain and the cold!
Hey Jus,
Yeah frequently with the i'm fine till i check then i just feel like uurgh thing!! It's weird the girls at my work are getting sso used to me being low they can pull out my meter and make me do a test b4 i even realise i might be feeling low!!! starting to think i spend far too much time there!! hehehehe!! I also hate the tongue thing it always make feel as if i'm still low or going to fall back down really low again!!
Oh and Jus I'm going to see my "DSN" next thursday to talk to her about changing my insulin so hopefully I'll get some good news and get off this awful stuff!!! hope your well
amanda
xx

janabelle

Dislikes
Having RP
Thanks Amanda,
What a relief to know I'm not alone with the tingly tongue feeling. Thought I might be having a stroke the first time it happened. Like you, feel like still going low cos of the feeling, it takes a couple of minutes to fade-worst hypo symptom ever :evil:
Best of luck with your DSN, don't expect her to believe a word of it though; go armed with printouts and be firm!! My fingers will be crossed all day next Thurs for you :)
Jus x x

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Ive also been sick, I tried to have glucose tablets and biscuits but just felt too ill and I vomited them up again. I then managed to keep pure orange juice down so this did the trick :D

ciara26

Soemtimes i get a nauseous feelinf but dont get sick! I get sooo hungry, then i know im getting a hypo, also lately ive been getting really sweaty and the shakes. Not a very pleasant sight!!

Giggles

Hi All

This is the first time i have joined a forum and have found some of the things on here really interesting and it has opened my eyes more about the symptoms people have when having a hypo. I have a question to ask u all of my own which is pretty embarassing but some of you may have had the same experience. I have hypos sometimes wen i am asleep and bite my tongue really badly, most of the time there is blood round my mouth wen i come round and often i cant eat properly for days because of this. I also have started to wet the bed which is seriously embarassing especially if someone is staying over. Does anyone else have these problems?

Thanks
Giggles :oops:

I sometimes feel sick when I am hypo. I am never actually sick but believe me the feeling is there!!
I do get symtoms of hypo, i.e. shaking, sweating, feeling weak etc. it is only in the last couple of years that I have felt nauseous though.

I sometimes feel sick when I am hypo. I am never actually sick but believe me the feeling is there!!
I do get symtoms of hypo, i.e. shaking, sweating, feeling weak etc. it is only in the last couple of years that I have felt nauseous though.

sugarangel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
im always sick with a hypo especially when its been ridiculously low....i sweat, shake, pins and needles in the tongue, tearful............

Does anyone get a "twitchy jolting movement"????? i get that too... :?

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Only time I've felt sick with a hypo was when my partner tried to make me eat Hypostop (it was a few years ago) when I was half asleep. He couldn't understand my reluctance until he tasted the gel!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
copepod said:
Only time I've felt sick with a hypo was when my partner tried to make me eat Hypostop (it was a few years ago) when I was half asleep. He couldn't understand my reluctance until he tasted the gel!

I once got hypostop on prescription, it has a horrible taste and the top of the tube is easily knocked off leaving the gel to spill out into your pocket! :x

Nigel

iHs

noblehead said:
copepod said:

I once got hypostop on prescription, it has a horrible taste and the top of the tube is easily knocked off leaving the gel to spill out into your pocket! :x

Nigel

Hypostop (now Glucogel) is fantastic stuff - seriously.

Every insulin dependant diabetic should have a bottle in their cupboard. It has saved me many times when I have had a hypo whilst asleep. My OH has sensed that I'm not right cos I'm usually baking hot and sweating and gets some Hypostop; undoes the little nozzle at the top and squirts a very thin line inside my bottom lip or cheek. He then massages my gum area or cheek and waits about 5-6 mins, then squirts another thin line and does the same. It works by being absorbed through the buccal lining of the mouth and doesn't need to be swallowed. Once I am able to mutter, I then have a small amount of lucozade and then start apologising :(

Of course one has to make sure that hypo person's head is propped up a bit on a pillow so that they don't choke with too much fluid going in but as long as common sense is used; then Hypostop can prevent the need to administer Glucagon. :wink: