Can migraine cause confusion?

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Day before yesterday I had an episode that attending paramedics said could have been migraine or a TIA episode. I have had migraines before, but not for some time. Anyhow, I telephoned 111 because I was feeling unwell with 'migraine aura' emitting from my right eye and with chest pains and nausea. I found it a problem getting my words out with the 111 operator. When the paramedics arrived I had difficulty in speaking. I knew what I wanted to say but the words came out wrong. This lasted some 15 minutes, before my speech returned to normal. The paramedics face-timed the stroke clinic and they decided it was most likely a migraine episode rather than a mini-stroke. Yesterday I had tests at hospital outpatients but the result is still inconclusive. The hospital had so many urgent cases waiting for their MRI slots that I was told to go back next week for an MRI scan, to exclude (or confirm) TIA.

I just would like to know if garbled speech is something that other people have experienced with migraine?

mouseee

I often find words difficult when I have a full on migraine but never as severe as you describe.
You must make sure you get followed up and try and get an answer to what it was. Im glad that they haven't just said 'migraine' and left it at that.

• Agree
Reactions: lessci and ElenaP

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Day before yesterday I had an episode that attending paramedics said could have been migraine or a TIA episode. I have had migraines before, but not for some time. Anyhow, I telephoned 111 because I was feeling unwell with 'migraine aura' emitting from my right eye and with chest pains and nausea. I found it a problem getting my words out with the 111 operator. When the paramedics arrived I had difficulty in speaking. I knew what I wanted to say but the words came out wrong. This lasted some 15 minutes, before my speech returned to normal. The paramedics face-timed the stroke clinic and they decided it was most likely a migraine episode rather than a mini-stroke. Yesterday I had tests at hospital outpatients but the result is still inconclusive. The hospital had so many urgent cases waiting for their MRI slots that I was told to go back next week for an MRI scan, to exclude (or confirm) TIA.

I just would like to know if garbled speech is something that other people have experienced with migraine?
Sorry you went through that @ElenaP, firstly I want to say that be sure you do get the follow up & hopefully it’s the best case scenario. My hubby in his 20s & 30s had terrible migraines so bad that he needed morphine suppositories, he could lose a week where he had no recall, he would not be able to talk or walk and would often end up passing out - it would look for all intents & purposes like a stroke. Migraines are a big spectrum so yes it’s possible to get the symptoms you had. These days hubby isn’t so bad - he still suffers but not on the scale of when he was younger

Hope you’re feeling better today

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Migraines can even present with partial facial paralysis... Without proper testing there's no telling what it was, because it can look awfully similar. Even to the professionals, as you've found out. A friend's husband had a migraine... And it most decidedly wasn't a migraine. So if you feel like that again, get help, just in case. They can just appear too similar to take any risks, and you do need your brain.

Hope it won't happen again, and the MRI gives conclusive, nice results.
Hugs,
Jo

PS: Not garbled, just searching for words some... And I have a maximum of 12 migraine days a month, a minimum of 8.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, mouseee, lonvinglife and JoKasbeek, for your replies. What a learning curve this is! It is informative to hear how other people get affected. Jo, that is as lot of migraines! Are you on medication for that as well?
I take hormone shots so they don't get out of control, -the hormonal ones are the worst- and sumatriptan to battle an active migraine. Other things don't seem to help, and I've tried many since I was 10 or so. They run in the family, just another genetic blessing.

All in all, they do come in many, many different shapes and sizes. And sometimes they aren't what they seem to be. So do keep that MRI appointment, and call for help if you need it. Better safe than sorry!
Jo

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sometimes have speech difficulties as part of, or prelude to, a migraine. I know what I want to say but it comes out incoherent.

However you need to get it checked out properly.
I always worry I'll mistake a stroke for a migraine and don't want to get complacent

• Informative
Reactions: ElenaP

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I use to suffer terrible migraine totally debilitating for me , exactly the same feeling a a concussion ( which I’ve had a few) tunnel vision , pins and needles down side of face and tongue , resulting in throwing up and massive headache , only way I could get rid of it was dark room for a couple of hours , I managed to get rid of them when I got diabetes ,
why so lucky lol , personally I prefer the diabetes that’s how bad my headaches were

• Informative

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The TIA clinic has contacted me to say that the MRI scan ruled out TIA, this time. However, they did advise me to call the paramedics each time that I get similar symptoms, just in case.

What a relief! Also, it is good to be able to resume driving. :D

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I sometimes have speech difficulties as part of, or prelude to, a migraine. I know what I want to say but it comes out incoherent.

However you need to get it checked out properly.
I always worry I'll mistake a stroke for a migraine and don't want to get complacent
Sadly that's what my maternal Grandma did on more than 1 occasion, and she ended up having Vascular Dementia, caused by the TIA's - Stay vigilant

• Hug