Can you live on just this food and not get ill?

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have really bad tooth problems, I am waiting for my appointment to have the tooth that is causing this pain removed, I wanted to know if you can live on pot noodles and porridge without getting ill from it? I am just under 8 stone now. Also, if they see that you are underweight can they put you under hospital admission to build you up? My height is 5ft 3 so I don't know if I am underweight.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Alex_B !
Here's a link to the NHS BMI calculator. If you enter your age, height and weight it will show you if you are underweight or not.
http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx
If your pot noodle and porridge diet is just temporary due to your tooth problem then you'll survive though a decent bowl of veg and chicken soup would probably provide better sustenance. However if you are eating such a restricted diet on the longer term it will be doing you no good at all.

D

Deleted member 308541

I am just under 8 stone now. Also, if they see that you are underweight can they put you under hospital admission to build you up? My height is 5ft 3 so I don't know if I am underweight.
According to the BMI app I have, you have a BMI of 19.8 which is normal healthy weight.

As for eating noodle and porridge that's your choice, but if it was my tooth that was painful I would have been to my dentist before now.

Edit: @miahara beat me to the post. :D

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Tipetoo I went to the dentist ages ago, I am waiting for an appointment so I can get extractions and fillings done under sedation at the same time. They are trying to find a place where they can do it all in one.

D

Deleted member 308541

@Tipetoo I went to the dentist ages ago, I am waiting for an appointment so I can get extractions and fillings done under sedation at the same time. They are trying to find a place where they can do it all in one.
Oh right, my dentist has access to the day surgery units at the two private hospitals. I keep forgetting about the different system in Australia.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Porridge will keep you going for some time especially with whole milk.
Don't know about Pot Noodle.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Behind the Label: Pot Noodle
89422.png
http://www.theecologist.org/green_g...label/324563/behind_the_label_pot_noodle.html

Reactions: TIANDB

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have really bad tooth problems, I am waiting for my appointment to have the tooth that is causing this pain removed, I wanted to know if you can live on pot noodles and porridge without getting ill from it? I am just under 8 stone now. Also, if they see that you are underweight can they put you under hospital admission to build you up? My height is 5ft 3 so I don't know if I am underweight.

In all honesty, you can probably live on practically anything for a few days without causing yourself too many problems ! so I guess it depends on how long you are proposing to do it :)

I'm struggling a little to understand why the the choice of pot noodles and porridge though? what about making a nourishing soup and then liquidising that - it would be far better for you than the pot noodles - and tastier too. Pot noodles are very salty for a sore mouth.
Hope you manage to get them fixed soon !

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@CherryAA It's the only thing I can eat without it hurting. I tried soup earlier and it just made it worse. It just made it even more painful than it already was. I had porridge and a pot noodle earlier and it didn't hurt.

Reactions: ickihun

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Most people , with far on their bodies can live on no food for days, weeks or months.
Personally I wouldn't be eating pot noodles and rice. I'd eat something with nutrition though soft. Like avocado, fish, streamed veggies.

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kristin251 I don't eat avocado or fish, tried it once and threw up. I have vegetables most days. I am just going for the cheaper option right now. I don't get paid until Thursday. When I get some money then I will get some food thats soft and nutritional. If I don't eat I can't have insulin which means I will get a lecture of my DSN about it, and she will most likely have a go at me, which right now I don't need.

Reactions: Struma

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Let us updated as to your extraction appointment. You are trying your best. I'd take multivitamins whilst your on a restricted diet hun. But thats just me. I have other health problems too.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Porridge should be OK as long as you account for the high carbs obviously- it's very nutritious. Pot noodles are spectacularly bad for you though- couldn't you get some bananas or soft boiled eggs? Shouldn't cost any more than the pot noodz

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
3. Oats Contain a Powerful Soluble Fiber Called Beta-Glucan
Oats contain large amounts of beta-glucan, a type of soluble fiber.

Beta-glucan partially dissolves in water and forms a thick, gel-like solution in the gut.

The health benefits of beta-glucan fiber include:

• Reduced LDL and total cholesterol levels (1)
  • Reduced blood sugar and insulin response (11)
  • Increased feeling of fullness (12)
  • Increased growth of good bacteria in the digestive tract (13)
BOTTOM LINE:Oats are high in the soluble fiber beta-glucan, which has numerous benefits. It helps reduce cholesterol and blood sugar levels, promotes healthy gut bacteria and increases feelings of fullness.

From the link above.
I have turned my diabetes off as good and lowered my blood pressure lowered my bad cholesterol raised my good cholesterol and I put a lot of that down to persisting with having a bowl of porridge every morning.
At first it spikes the blood but for me that was less than a week.
Probably 4 days can't remember.
I now take no medication for cholesterol blood pressure or diabetes.
No I'm sure it won't work for everyone.

Reactions: TIANDB