Can you please give suggestions about our prototype?

We are a team of 9 students from Aalto University and Hochschule Mannheim working together with Roche to improve the experience of diabetics in European Region. One of the problems, we were thinking about was, How can we relieve the stress of a parent at work for their diabetic child?

What do you do? Would you like to use a think about these?
dcq8Sb

Red- Low Blood Sugar
Green- Normal
Yellow- High

With this watch on your child, would you feel more relaxed at work if you're connected to them using it and can track status on mobile?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2017-11-13 at 9.46.34 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-11-13 at 9.46.34 AM.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 502

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
We are a team of 9 students from Aalto University and Hochschule Mannheim working together with Roche to improve the experience of diabetics in European Region. One of the problems, we were thinking about was, How can we relieve the stress of a parent at work for their diabetic child?

What do you do? Would you like to use a think about these?
dcq8Sb

Red- Low Blood Sugar
Green- Normal
Yellow- High

With this watch on your child, would you feel more relaxed at work if you're connected to them using it and can track status on mobile?

Don't want to curb youthful enthusiasm or innovation, but these things have already been done!

http://www.nightscoutfoundation.org/why/

Google dexcom, xdrip+, nightscout, nightwatch - there are numerous products out there which allow parental monitoring at a distance.

Plus, my watch looks better than yours!

20171105_150404.jpg

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Don't want to curb youthful enthusiasm or innovation, but these things have already been done!

Google dexcom, xdrip+, nightscout, nightwatch - there are numerous products out there which allow parental monitoring at a distance.

View attachment 24485

Think you should work for these big companies! They are so far below the capabilities of others!!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Is the proposed watch a remote reader. Since the students are trying to relieve the stress of a parent at work I thought they were developing a remote watch for keeping an eye on the child.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Think you should work for these big companies! They are so far below the capabilities of others!!

I've been singing the praises of Ambrosia System's Blucon transmitter so much in recent threads that I think some people suspect I'm working for them!

Great wee piece of kit - turns libre into full blown cgm, calibration, alerts, predictions, all for a one off cost of £100.

The guy developing xDrip+ was asked to tweak it so it would take data from blucon. Would have taken months/years for a big company to do that - he did it in a few weeks!

View attachment 24485

Thanks for your feedback! It is really good benchmarking for us. We are not developing a watch but rather working on to improve the experience of everyone involved in diabetes. We want to design it according to you by identifying needs and not what we think is right.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Is the proposed watch a remote reader. Since the students are trying to relieve the stress of a parent at work I thought they were developing a remote watch for keeping an eye on the child.

I have no idea what the proposal is - can't tell a great deal from some cardboard cut out watches with no explanation of how their product differs from or improves on products already available which allow remote parental monitoring.

It's not obvious to me that the students have spent any time looking at the current state of art, which already does what they are proposing.

So, I've given them suggestions of things to look at which might lead them to say either, hmm, it's already been done so let's not bother, or, hmm, it's already been done, but we can see ways of improving it, so here's our proposal.

It's not clear that a great deal of thought has even gone into the cardboard cutouts. Why are they just colours, and not have numbers or graphs like xDrip+ provides?

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Mark_1

I think I would want a number rather than just a colour. I wouldn’t do something that is limited to children but a monitor of some sort is probably the way to go.
A cheaper version of a Libre or any CGM, would sell well I think. Either a watch app using a light similar to pulse readers or a stick on plaster that gives out constant readings but it would need to be at a similar price level to existing finger pricking technology not the current £1000+ a year. I think this sort of thing is already on the way.

Reactions: ickihun

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Totally agree that just a colour on a watch is pretty well useless in my eyes.

Why not just arrange for the data to be read remotely? Why just send a no number colour??

The thing is to remember for parents that they would want to know before levels drop in to red... if an actual bg and graph showed on watch like the example given to you... well, it would be a winner...