Type 1 cancelled operation

Sarah Ann Hodges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm sorry to bother you. I had back surgery planned for Saturday morning its been cancelled as hba1c was 101 I've been uncontrolled since my back went tablets pain sleeping not eating etc...my surgery was cancelled yesterday and I'm devastated ...how quickly can I get my HBA1c below 75? Surgeon has said he will operate in two weeks if hba1c is down! I don't think it will come down that quick! Personally I would rather wait till August even with the amount of pain I'm in have a better hba1c and be safe what do you think?

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You don't want to lower your hba1c drastically too quick as it can cause complications.

If you would like help in lowering it you can tell us what medication you're on, what your diet is like etc and we can look for ways to help

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Sarah Ann Hodges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You don't want to lower your hba1c drastically too quick as it can cause complications.

If you would like help in lowering it you can tell us what medication you're on, what your diet is like etc and we can look for ways to help

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app
Metformin 1000mg twice daily
Lantus 18 units am
Lantus 15 units pm
Humalog correction 1 unit to bring down by 3
Humalog am 1 unit to 8g carb
Humalog pm 1 unit to 10g carb
Humalog pm 1 unit to 10g carb
Baclofen 2 there times daily
Gabapentin 2 there times daily
Citalipram 40mg
Lipitor 40mg
morphine as needed !

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the others not good to drastically trying to reduce your HbA1c in just two weeks.We can't really say what you should do for the best though so perhaps seeing your GP or nurse would be better

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As the HbA1c averages glucose over the preceding 2 to 3 months it is probably impossible to get it down in 2 weeks anyway. Even taking into account that the HbA1c average is weighted towards the last few weeks, I doubt it could be done.

Reactions: 2 people

Sarah Ann Hodges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As the HbA1c averages glucose over the preceding 2 to 3 months it is probably impossible to get it down in 2 weeks anyway. Even taking into account that the HbA1c average is weighted towards the last few weeks, I doubt it could be done.
Thank you for your advice...I think waiting till August is the safest option all round. Xx

Reactions: 5 people

Sarah Ann Hodges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with the others not good to drastically trying to reduce your HbA1c in just two weeks.We can't really say what you should do for the best though so perhaps seeing your GP or nurse would be better
I think waiting is safer....my doctor is next to useless to be fair and as for nurses well...I will kepp at it...thank you. Xx