can't eat but taking medicine eyes yellow

mbk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm new here but I've been a type 1 diabetic for 35 years. This past week I've had some sort of bug and couldn't eat and stayed in bed. This is very rare for me. I continued to take my meds but sugar levels stayed around 8 - weird as I thought I would go hypo. After 2 or 3 days I've started to eat very small amounts for dinner and breakfast - I have to be careful because I just throw up if I try to eat more. Doc suggested I reduce my meds a little and try to eat. After 5 days in bed I'm not any better and my eyes have started to go yellow. Any ideas?

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Mbk sorry to hear your so unwell, please get the doc to you asap, better safe than......

Reactions: 6 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Yellow eyes could be your bilirubin suggesting your liver isn't doing it job, hepatitis etc so go to get help

Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since it's Sunday, ring the NHS helpline (don't know the number, sorry)
And don't let them fob you off.
Make sure you see someone as soon as possible.

Reactions: 4 people

mbk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the quick responses. I'll talk to the nhshelpline and see if they'll see me at the local hospital. Cheers. Mike

Reactions: 7 people

alliebee

Hi @mkb. Just wondering how you got on? It does sound very much as if you are jaundiced. Hope you got the medical treatment you needed

Reactions: 2 people

mbk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry for slow response
In hospital with jaundice :(
Food's not bad but they don't let you sleep more than 2hrs before more tests.
Thank you for all your concern
Mike

Reactions: 11 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad you got it sorted. You are in the right place, but hospital food isn't particularly healthy, so hope you get released very soon.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hey mbk , glad you got to the hospital , hope your out and able to get back to the party in time for Xmas ::)) thanks for the update , thinking of you

alliebee

Sending lots of nursey best wishes...hope the diagnosis is forthcoming v soon. You may feel very tired for a while. It takes the liver a little while to recover from whatever is causing the jaundice..keep us posted and get well soon

Reactions: 2 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Aahhhh!. Yes I know. Every time I felt like a bit of kip it was a ct scan or a blood test or let's poke this bit....blah blah.....Trouble is they keep you alive mate. Be good.
msn-emoticon-doctor-073.gif

Reactions: 3 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
best of luck matey

imagine how scarey liking hospitals would be

mbk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There still not sure what's up:) they're now using the term acute hepatitis. The blood levels were a bit alarming the normal belirubin should be 20 and I was scoring 240. Impressive I know but there was an ALU (?) That was supposed to be 40 and I was getting 4700!!! No real cause found either. Oh well, fingers crossed
Mike