Can't stop crying not taking this very well

Hevab

I was only told yesterday I had type 2
But everytinw I think about it I end up sobbing thinking I'm not gunna see my 2 yr old grow up etc. then I get a positive head and try and look on my cupboards for food I can eat read a few labels and realize pretty much nothing we live on is gunna be ok so now I'm at a loss and crying again. I no my levels are not too bad at 7.7 fasting and I'm sure she said my hc was below 6.

So what do I do is it enough to cut out sugar and start excerzie do I really need to look at carbs as I don't understand all this gi business. I've looked at links I've seen but none of it makes sense :(

Sindri

I know how you feel and I'm sure lots of others here do as well. Lots of type 2 sufferers live long and healthy lives because they make the changes necessary and plus having a healthy lifestyle will also give your lovely 2 year old a long and healthy lifestyle to emulate.

You will get advice and information from your doctor and I'm sure there will be lots of advice from everyone here but it is a lot to take in straight away. I am still overwhelmed by everything and I was diagnosed 5 months ago. There is lots of information on the site and I would take your time and read through everything as many times as you need to.

My advice would be to first of all to relax and give yourself time to absorb this new information. Remove as much of the sugary stuff as you can manage immediately, for some people cutting it all out is very difficult and may time a little time to change. Exercise is very important and my doctor's advice was at least 3 times a week for 30 mins but many people do a lot more. Until you are more settled I wouldn't be too caught up in being perfect and doing the GI and knowing every scrap of information.

Look at your eating and replace sugary things with healthy things, remove processed food and go for home cooked food. Get a monitor and do blood checks so that you can see what affect meals and foods have your system and change them over time.

Hevab

Thanks what do u say is processed if we make a spaghetti all from
Fresh but use a jar sauce is that ok? My oh is not very good with complete home cooked foods I've tried on occasions at we and sw to make them and he moans tbh I don't like them either lol.

I havnt got to see my gp untill June when I go bk to b retested she's said continue with sw and cut Down on high sugar high fat foods and eat lots of starcy carbs and fruit and veg. So I'm not seein a diet trivial or anything I've just gotta follow them and lose weight over he next 6 months the. See why my levels are like.

Sindri

Every person is different with the things that trigger their blood sugars but obviously some things are general like sweets and biscuits.

I found that the sauces in jars would put my blood sugars up and I had to learn to make complete home cooked foods. I also do Slimming World and I eat a lot of fruit but some people have issues with certain fruits like bananas and mango.

Check the labels on jars and find the ones that are not full of sugars, see where it comes on the list of ingredients. I really would advise getting a free monitor and checking your blood sugars after every meal and see which ones send the levels up. You might be able to get away with pre-packaged stuff like the jars. I tend to buy a jar of passata which is just sieved tomatoes and then put in spices to make things like a bolognese sauce.

Dont aim to be perfect immediately, just replace one meal at a time with a home cooked trial and build up a bank of things you can make and that you all like and that keeps your sugars under control. I changed to porridge in the morning instead of toast and then having crispbreads instead of bread.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Hevab,

First of all don't panic and don't despair - you will need to make adjustments but everything will work out fine as long as you take this seriously. I know a number of people who have said that becoming Type 2 has improved their quality of life; as it made them look at diet and exercise and take control.

Have a look at the post on here about advice for the newly diagnosed.

Then try and get your head around the notion that what you may have been told by your GP may well not be right for you; I'm thinking of the 'eat plenty of starchy carbohydrates' bit. There's a lot to learn, but pretty much everyone with Type 2 or Type 1 diabetes comes to realise that that approach just doesn't work.

Here is some good simple advice on how to get your blood sugars under control (the blood sugars it uses are in US form - there is a calculator on the diabetes.co.uk home page to convert those numbers into UK levels):

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/flyer.pdf

The most useful thing anyone said to me on my diagnosis as a diabetic was; 'you either control diabetes or it controls you; it's your choice.'

Good luck; this site will give you lots of information and support. Don't worry!

Dillinger

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Hevab. As Dillinger has said many of us do not agree with the NHS advice to 'eat plenty of starchy carbs' as we find this increases our blood sugar rather than reduce it. Trouble is no-one really knows what 'starchy' really means. Unprocessed starchy carbs can be OK for diabetes but processed starchy food such as bread, pasta etc made from white flour is usually bad. This is where the low-GI thing comes in. For a start just go for multigrain bread, wholemeal flour and in portions that aren't too big. Obviously cut out all sugar and check food labels. Don't be put off that so many foods contain the wrong things; there are a lot of us with diabetes around and the right food is out there; you just need to look out for it. The good news is you can eat meat, eggs and so on because protein is fine and even fat is OK if your cholesterol levels aren't too bad and you go for good fats such as those in fish. Fruit and veg is good but don't eat too many bananas as the sugar content can be quite high. As others have said don't panic just gradually adjust your diet and obtain a meter to find out what affects you.

Snodger

Hey Hevab.
You will definitely see your 2 year old grow up, and go to school, university, first job, get married, you'll watch your grandchildren grow up. You can get healthy again - as some others have said, probably extra healthy. And it's totally okay to cry about your diagnosis, and totally okay to feel like you are being bombarded with info that makes no sense.

Although everyone's giving good advice here, I'd say, take it a day at a time. First thing is to learn what foods are carbohydrates and what are not. If it's getting confusing, leave the rest of it (GI, which kind of diet to follow, etc etc) till next week. The info will still be here, and your HbA1c is excellent, so you aren't in any immediate danger.

and all of our best wishes. You'll make it, and we are all here to help.

Helenababe

Hi Hevab,

Here's another one that cried for a week, so know what you're going through. You will get there. It won't feel like that at the moment but it will happen. The more knowledge you get, the more you'll be able to cope, and control your diabetes. Learn as much as you can from these forums, and the great people on here. You'll have all the support you'll need.

Best Wishes,
Helena :)

alliebee

Hi there Hevab,

My heart went out to you when I read your post, It is natural to be so very upset when our health is threatened.

Im a newbie just like you, and this forum is the best place to be when you have any questions, need to just share, or ask advice. Ive learned so much from all the people on here who always take the time to encourage and help.

There are so many recipes and ideas also on that part of the forum, that I promise you, in a very short while things wont seem to be so bad, as you learn more about what is right for you, what foods dont raise your blood glucose levels, My first change was to start having wholemeal pasta, bread, and still can have most of the meals I had before, with making them myself from scratch, rather that too many ready meals or processed foods.

Exercise helped tremendously, even just walking, Im not there yet, but I feel so much better about it all that I di just a few weeks ago.

Wishing you all the very best, and remember we are all here for each other, good times and low times

Good luck Alison xxxx :D and welcome

Hevab

Thank you all I've had stages today where I've been in bits am debits like now I feel
Ok about it.

Rather random is I hadn't had any symptoms at all and the blood test was just because id had a re occurring yeast infection. But today my mouth has been sooo dry strange how I'm getting symptoms now I no buy two days ago felt fine lol. Probs just me
Worrying I'm
Gunna be premenentlu Feeling I'll.

I'm
Pretty sure my doc said my hcap1 was that it deff weren't in the 7s and I no she Saod they weren't concerned it was high it was the fact they have progressively Risen since 2009 I think, does that sound right xx

Hevab

On excerzise front, I already walk to work so gunna try and walk thT bit faster, I've also pulled the excerzise bike I was gifted b4 Xmas did 15 last night and 15 this morning managed to clock up 5 miles in that time. Is that sort of excerzise ok as everyone mentions walking but I do enough walking when I get home
I wanna stay in x

ladyfingers

Dislikes
Litter!
Hi Hevab, my aunt died of Type 2 diabetes ... but she was 83 and knew nothing about changing her diet or exercising more. There's no reason to believe that having diabetes will shorten your life. You just need to take time to understand what you can about about this illness, there's no rush, no need to panic.

For me the yeast infection and dry mouth are a sure sign that my blood sugar levels are high. I would consider what I had been eating over the previous few hours or even days to raise it and try to avoid those foods in the future.

All the best.
Jen

carbman

I was only told yesterday I had type 2
But everytinw I think about it I end up sobbing thinking I'm not gunna see my 2 yr old grow up etc. then I get a positive head and try and look on my cupboards for food I can eat read a few labels and realize pretty much nothing we live on is gunna be ok so now I'm at a loss and crying again. I no my levels are not too bad at 7.7 fasting and I'm sure she said my hc was below 6.

So what do I do is it enough to cut out sugar and start excerzie do I really need to look at carbs as I don't understand all this gi business. I've looked at links I've seen but none of it makes sense

Take this as an early warning. Time to change your lifestyle. Look around this place and you will find the answers to live a very long and healthy life.

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
The doc said they weren't worried about very high levels, so don't panic. Any change increasing exercise and healthier eating is positive, and will make a difference. My advice will be small changes and if you do't have your own meter make an appointment with the doc to get a test, i'm sure when you see the results of small changes you'll be reassured.