Can't take Metformin XR? New type of metformin in development :)

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
This is exciting news for those people who can't take Metformin in either the immediate release or extended release (XR) form. Hopefully in 2-3 years, Metformin DR (delayed release) will be approved (it's halfway through clinical trials). This drug would be especially helpful for people who can't take metformin because of kidney disease, but it may also help those who can't take metformin for other reasons. It would also reduce the risk of lactic acidosis, a rare and serious side effect of metformin. Maybe in the future everyone will be on Metformin DR? It is taken once daily, does not need to be titrated slowly at the start of taking it, and has 40% less of the drug with the same efficacy.

Here is a news story about the drug, and the manufacturer's website info, which explains the benefits very well:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...-treatment-options-for-type-2-patients.82437/

http://elcelyx.com/drugs-in-development/metformin-dr/

Last edited by a moderator:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I wonder how much it will cost compared with vanilla Metformin?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi. I wonder how much it will cost compared with vanilla Metformin?
Probably more, for many years while it is still on patent, because it costs a drug company about US$1 billion to get a drug through the approval process. But for those people who really need it, esp. because of kidney issues, it should make a real difference. If it saves money elsewhere, or dramatically improves quality of life, and reduces risk of lactic acidosis, then I think the NHS will provide it for certain people.