Carb Counting

spaxman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

Been doing the LCHF diet for a week now and it's gone loads better than I expected. Just after a bit of advice.. how many grams of carbs should I aim to stay under?

Thanks
Stuart

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Been doing the LCHF diet for a week now and it's gone loads better than I expected. Just after a bit of advice.. how many grams of carbs should I aim to stay under?

Thanks
Stuart

Glad to see it is going well.

We all have different carb tolerance levels, so you need to find your own. Yours may not be the same as mine. Mine is 30g a day, none at all before lunch.

You have your meter now if I remember correctly. That will tell you how many grams of carbs you can cope with. Test before and 2 hours after first bite. Look at the rise from before to after. Keep that under 2mmol/l and preferably under 1.5mmol/l. If it is higher than that there are too many carbs. Once you reach that level, you could try testing earlier, at an hour or 90 minutes after first bite. This is because the peak of our rise usually happens between an hour and 90 minutes (not always but normally) and by 2 hours you should be on your way back down. Use these results to tweak your carb portions.

spaxman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad to see it is going well.

We all have different carb tolerance levels, so you need to find your own. Yours may not be the same as mine. Mine is 30g a day, none at all before lunch.

You have your meter now if I remember correctly. That will tell you how many grams of carbs you can cope with. Test before and 2 hours after first bite. Look at the rise from before to after. Keep that under 2mmol/l and preferably under 1.5mmol/l. If it is higher than that there are too many carbs. Once you reach that level, you could try testing earlier, at an hour or 90 minutes after first bite. This is because the peak of our rise usually happens between an hour and 90 minutes (not always but normally) and by 2 hours you should be on your way back down. Use these results to tweak your carb portions.

Much appreciated as always

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@spaxman the level of carbs you eat is really down to you - and what your meter tells you. Some people are able to reduce sugar levels (and lose weight, if that is one of your objectives) at a higher level of carbs than others.

Personally I find that even small amounts of carbs can spike me, so I stick to under 30g a day, but I know others can manage 50g or more, perhaps even 100g.

It really is a matter of trial and error and getting the balance right for you.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found it easiest to avoid as many as possible and now stay under 20g a day nearly all the time so I try to remain in ketosis.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might find that some foods seem to have more impact than others - even though the carb count seems to be about the same for what you've eaten.

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Experiment with a few different foods then test with your meter,bare in mind though the meters are NOT always that accurate but ok.Like wise time as well.You'll meant to test 2 hours after your meal,that can give you a different reading from one day to the next.It can be taken much to far as well,use your head.
The lowering of the carbs will give you better readings but I read ,too low and the body can slow down it's insulin production,a few carbs keeps it ticking over.Its a very individual thing.I don't agree with the high fat diet all the time as it slows down weight loss for me but might work for you.Its all a learning curve and only you can do it.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might find that some foods seem to have more impact than others - even though the carb count seems to be about the same for what you've eaten.

which are the worst for you in that matter ?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
which are the worst for you in that matter ?
I tested and got super highs with very reasonable amounts of potato, banana and all breads except the Lidl protein rolls. I did not test with all legumes, as green peas and beans still give elevated above expected BG levels.
I did try a mango with a meal and that was higher than my worst expectation, but that could have been simply the amount of fructose, as it tasted super sweet. Such things as cakes and biscuits are simply not part of my diet.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
half an avocado with 2 spoonfull of tacosauce 0.5 chopped onion and 150 grams cottage cheese and some slices of green pepper and maybe a squeeze of lemon juice

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just started on the low carb programme. Can someone tell me an example of a 20g carb?
20g of carbs could be as little as a slice of bread or a few small potatoes. My advice would be to get some weighing scales, weigh samples of food to get an idea of quantities, then look up on the internet the carb content of that food. You will soon get the hang of the carb content/portion size and coupled with your meter readings you can be on your way to a low carb future.