Carb counting

Big_Ron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed about 2 month's ago with type 2,i have found this forum so helpful , i have a question & i know that one of you kind people will give me the correct answer ,when you are on a LCHF diet do you count the total carbs in a product or do you just count the sugar content in the carbs,for instance on a can of chicken curry it says carbs 8.8 grams of which 4 grams of sugar,do i count the 8.8 grams in my daily total .

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Always count the carbs total and ignore the of which sugars figure.

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, the 8.8 grams need to be added to your daily total. Also, you need to check the amount that figure is referring to. Generally the carb count is given per 100g. So if you are eating a 400g total weight can of chicken curry - then you need to multiply the carb content of your meal by 4.
It's also worth spending a bit of time checking the carb counts of different products when you're shopping. They can vary a lot.
Apologies if I'm telling you stuff you already know here xx

Big_Ron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for replying June and Lins, i thought i was doing it correctly by doing the total carbs. Happy New Year to you and hope you have a good year in front of you

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And a very happy new year to you too :)

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes