Carb killa bars

Philb69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hiya.

New to t2 and asking a million questions as i am a really fussy eater. Has anyone got an opinion on the carb killa bars as I would not mind having one for breakfast of a morning. This one is the white chocolate one.

Thanks all
IMG_0705.JPG

jamin1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya.

New to t2 and asking a million questions as i am a really fussy eater. Has anyone got an opinion on the carb killa bars as I would not mind having one for breakfast of a morning. This one is the white chocolate one.

Thanks all
View attachment 23332

Hi the Atkins breakfast bars are a lot lower in carbs but they are expensive, just was the amount of poly's in the bars and othe low sudar stuff as eating over 25 grams of them has a laxative affect

B

badcat

If you want to try them then id advise testing blood sugars before and after eating one Polyols cause spikes for some people. Also beware - polyols like malitol and sorbitol have a strong laxative effect!

Reactions: jamin1

Philb69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hiya
Had some low carb sweets delivered today with polys in them posted a question and they said it could have that effect. Farting like a trooper now after trying a couple.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I agree with @badcat, test before and after to gauge response. I have tried similar products with a few nasty surprises. It may be an individual response, but it pays to be vigilant.

D

Deleted member 308541

Hi the Atkins breakfast bars are a lot lower in carbs but they are expensive, just was the amount of poly's in the bars and othe low sudar stuff as eating over 25 grams of them has a laxative affect

I get ProteinFX Low Carb protein bars, they have less that 4gms per 60 gram bar. I do not know if they are available out side of Australia though. I only eat one a day so do not know if they give me the scours or not, I do have a cast iron gut though.

Reactions: jamin1 and ringi

Philb69

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hi jamin1

I have looked at the atkins bars and you are right they are expensive but are they worth it in your opinion as i might just end up with a sausage sandwich in the mornings as i did before i was diagnosed.

Thanks again

jamin1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi jamin1

I have looked at the atkins bars and you are right they are expensive but are they worth it in your opinion as i might just end up with a sausage sandwich in the mornings as i did before i was diagnosed.

Thanks again

Lol i know how feel, to me as i became insulin resistant and also have been visually impaired due to DED, retinopathy, i have to stick to low carb otherwise its rapid weight gain for me, so for me they were worth it, take some getting used to, alot of chewing lol, but they are not unpleasant, good with a cup of tea

jamin1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol i know how feel, to me as i became insulin resistant and also have been visually impaired due to DED, retinopathy, i have to stick to low carb otherwise its rapid weight gain for me, so for me they were worth it, take some getting used to, alot of chewing lol, but they are not unpleasant, good with a cup of tea

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Do you like smoked fish?

What about cold chicken?

Or eggs?

Or cheese wrapped in ham?

Olives + Chease + Nuts?

Reactions: jamin1

jamin1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi jamin1

Thanks again

If you miss yr sausage sandwich as i do, avidlite, sell low carb flour mix to make yr own but its do expensive. I buy sausage meat from the supermarket its lower in carbs a bit as it doesn't need the rusk to hold it together like sausages do. Protein bread is now avalible in lots of stores expensive but, you make a sandwich with alot less carbs. We all need to treat our selfs at times or it becomes just to much, and its important to be careful but not let it control n rule yr life to the point of no pleasure. I miss breakfast cereal, but will have a Weetabix with soya milk which is nearly half the almost of sugar in normal milk.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's definitely not the worst thing you can eat. Test your BS to gauge the effect it has on your levels and then make your decision from there. There is no right or wrong thing to eat it's more about finding out what works for you.

Reactions: ickihun

Philb69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am absolutely petrified of even trying a sandwich as i know bread is one of the worst things for a diabetic.been diagnosed about a month ago now but went on holiday a couple of says after diagnosis and pretty much ignored it as not to spoil it for the family. Back about 10 days now and got a monitor. When i got back i was always around 10-12 mmol but getting down to 6-8 at the moment so i do not want anything to jeopardise it at the moment. When i get down to 4-5 i might experiment a bit more but scared numbers may take a week or 2 to drop if i eat something really bad. I was 73 hba1c when first told so i think i am doing something right.

Thanks

Philb69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Do you like smoked fish?

What about cold chicken?

Or eggs?

Or cheese wrapped in ham?

Olives + Chease + Nuts?

Hi ringi

I do like chicken
Cheese is ok and ham
No to eggs but giving them ago in omelette or scrambled but need lots of sauce
No to olives but yes to nuts

But its mostly like eating cardboard to a normal breakfast for me but then again its my own fault for not being very food adventurous.

Phil

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi jamin1

Thanks again
Have the high meat sausage but not the bread..or even better cook loads and have them cold for breakfast.. better than protein bars or the like.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am absolutely petrified of even trying a sandwich as i know bread is one of the worst things for a diabetic.been diagnosed about a month ago now but went on holiday a couple of says after diagnosis and pretty much ignored it as not to spoil it for the family. Back about 10 days now and got a monitor. When i got back i was always around 10-12 mmol but getting down to 6-8 at the moment so i do not want anything to jeopardise it at the moment. When i get down to 4-5 i might experiment a bit more but scared numbers may take a week or 2 to drop if i eat something really bad. I was 73 hba1c when first told so i think i am doing something right.

Thanks
Does indeed sound like you are doing something right... well done..

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

Thanks
Try protein bread. Warbartons do a lovely small cut loaf.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The Lidl Protein rolls seem to be the only bread like things I can eat - they aren't bad, but we have a real butcher just around the corner and I buy sausages from them - only problem is that any other sausages now taste really bleugh!!
I also get whole hoggets - a well grown lamb, as they are not so fatty, and whole pigs too - all chopped up and packaged, and frozen ready for collection.
I have eaten 3 Atkins bars in my life - never again. The flora and fauna in my gut had a party on the polyols and I thought I was going to be geography - like history just more explosive. I knew I should not eat three in an afternoon - I can resist anything but temptation.
If you can find real food rather than a concoction, I'd recommend it, even if it seems odd to have lamb chops for breakfast.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Skipping dinner?
But - at this house it would mean passing on the roasted leg of lamb - or the roast pork, and the halogen oven makes lovely crackling.
Of course with the chicken thighs there are some for dinner and some for next morning too - though the lovely crunchy skins don't last until next day - they somehow evaporate away between the hot air fryer and the dish in which the thighs are placed to drain off. :smug:

Reactions: ringi