Carbohydrate malabsorption

RobynBelfast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. I'm an insulin dependant diabetic and have had the condition for just over 10 years , recently I've developed inexplicable / unusual symptoms regarding carbohydrate absorption.

Basically I found when I had my usual portion of my staple wholegrain(wholemeal wheat based bread. Oats) it seemed to have little (if any) impact on blood glucose, even when insulin dose was reduced to an almost negligible amount.

The symptom seemed to develop very quickly, I called the local diabetes clininic and spoke to the nurse; she suggested it could be coeliac disease as there's a higher instance of it among type one diabetics but otherwise seemed cavalier and unconcerned by the account of symptoms I'd described to her.

I've basically cut out all gluten and gluten containing products from my diet and have noticed an improvement in bg but still feel lethargic, tired and generally run down. Tinnitus. Strange joint twinges loss of libido and constipation.

I've spoken to a gp within my local surgery , he ordered a blood panel, took samples - but aside from raised / low albumin levels (can't recall which) everything came back within normal ranges.i do not drink or have a fatty diet.

I told the gp what the diabetes nurse had suggested - regarding symptoms and the improvement in bg I'd experienced after cutting out gluten. Again he seemed - as with the diabetes nurse , blasé and ultimately not helpful .

Beyond asking I keep a food diary for a week, He seemed content to leave me to my own devices .

I'm not really sure what more to do as I feel alone in whatever this is. My bg has improved since cutting gluten out but not to a pre symptomatic standard .

Has anyone experienced symptoms similar to what I've mentioned?
Can undiagnosed coeliacs really become so acute as suddenly .and cause such a drastic impact on bg / general well being ?

Thanks for reading. Hopefully someone can help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know very little about gluten allergies/sensitivities but there is a gluten free thread - you could try posting a question there.

One thing that does come to mind (going on the symptoms you've listed apart from the blood sugar/gluten issue) is Hashimoto's - an autoimmune thyroid disease. It often presents with tinnitus, constipation, fatigue & joint pain. I'm pretty sure it's also involved in carb metabolism. Have you had your thyroid tested at all? Could be worth investigating.

Sorry I couldn't be much help & best of luck to you.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, you need to eat gluten, wheat, rye, barley and oats continually up until your coeliac blood test and then possibly an endoscopy, did you do that prior to the test ?
Best wishes RRB

RobynBelfast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, thank you for replying.

Yes, the blood panel results showed normal thyroid function. According to the Dr.

I'm aware of the need to eat gluten (within an 8 week time frame?) containing food stuffs prior to being tested, I did mention this to the gp and requested the anti body test as soon as permissible but was basically forbed off and given a vague assurance of the test being performed at some unspecified future date.
Unfortunately the Dr I have seen relating to this has been thus far very laxidasical and slightly not helpful.