Carbs in home made chicken stock

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm wondering if anyone knows how many carbs in home made chicken stock, stock made from the carcass remains, plus skin, from a roasted chicken. I've been searching on the internet and have only found information that says 3 cups are 29g carbs. Surely that's not right?

I made cream of veg soup today, in fact I had two helpings. I'm trying to count all my carbs as I like to keep under 20g. After eating the soup my bg was still under 5, which makes me think the 29g carbs is wrong.

Thanks for any help.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If all there is in your stock is the chicken and water then there will be no carbs in the stock, obviously if you make soup etc there will be carbs from the vegetables in that.

Sounds like it was a good meal for you with that great number :)

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, thank you, thank you, that's a relief. The soup was so satisfying, if there were carbs at the level I found on the internet I'd have been ravenous. The only carbs of significance was a small onion and a small carrot (soup was shared with hubby). The other vegs were chopped cabbage, kale, celery, butternut squash, mushrooms, and spinach. Topped off with double cream.

The soup broke a 20 hour fast, that's why my bg was so low.... it's not always like that.;)

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Thank you, thank you, thank you, that's a relief. The soup was so satisfying, if there were carbs at the level I found on the internet I'd have been ravenous. The only carbs of significance was a small onion and a small carrot (soup was shared with hubby). The other vegs were chopped cabbage, kale, celery, butternut squash, mushrooms, and spinach. Topped off with double cream.

The soup broke a 20 hour fast, that's why my bg was so low.... it's not always like that.;)
For me only the carrot would be of significance out of those veg as far carbs go. Butt then I'm more sensitive to carbs in carrot than the average T2D is.

- Do you know how sensitive you are to carbs in the veg you tend to eat? The only way you can tell for sure is by testing your meals (before and then 2hrs after 1st bite) with a Blood Glucose meter - they show your individual response (we are all different. And a BG meter is unbiased (though sometimes the accuracy can be a little 'off' so need to test on a few different occasions).

Reactions: JenniferM55

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use carb manager quite a bit to look up carbs. I’ve just searched homemade chicken stock and someone has submitted a recipe using chicken carcass, chicken skin, 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar and 5.5 litres water. A serving of 450ml is 0.3g carbs so I think you can call it negligible :)

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make what I call "lumpy soup" which is home-made meat stock from leftover bones and any meat fragments, to which I add keto-friendly vegetables. It's my mainstay for lunch and I have it almost every day. I also add butter, olive oil and a couple of glugs of cider vinegar. So apart from the onion and sweetcorn, your soup is very similar to mine. These days I also add spring onion as it's a smidgen less carby than other onions, and the flavour is the same. So I reckon you are doing just fine.

Reactions: JenniferM55