Type 1.5 Carbs

GerryBolger

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all
I’ve a simple question. When you’re looking a carbs and recording them say for a sandwich which say has 44g of which sugars is 17g which do you use?

Thanks in advance

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
I’ve a simple question. When you’re looking a carbs and recording them say for a sandwich which say has 44g of which sugars is 17g which do you use?

Thanks in advance
Provided you are in UK, it is 44gr.

• Agree
Reactions: KennyA

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Carb count in the UK already has the value for indigestible fibre removed. The US counts it (usually as fiber), so you need to take the source of your information into account.

All digestible carbs - starchy carbs and sugars - are digested to glucose and end up having to be managed (or not) by your insulin system. The "of which sugars" is not at all helpful in my opinion but does prop up current NHS advice to "base all your meals around starchy carbs". Following that advice ensured I became diabetic.

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Carb count in the UK already has the value for indigestible fibre removed. The US counts it (usually as fiber), so you need to take the source of your information into account.

All digestible carbs - starchy carbs and sugars - are digested to glucose and end up having to be managed (or not) by your insulin system. The "of which sugars" is not at all helpful in my opinion but does prop up current NHS advice to "base all your meals around starchy carbs". Following that advice ensured I became diabetic.
I find the "of which sugars" information helpful. I'll generally avoid a product that has e.g. 9g carbs if *all* those carbs are sugar. Guaranteed to spike me, whereas a 9g carb food which has hardly any sugar produces a slower, less alarming rise.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
@GerryBolger your profile says you are prediabetic. Did you mean to put the T1.5 banner on the title of your post?

Answer is the same, but T1s or T1.5s can inkect insulin for their carbs so may also be interested in the GI of the carbs, as lower GI foods often spike you less when you are injecting for them.

• Agree
Reactions: In Response

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find the "of which sugars" information helpful. I'll generally avoid a product that has e.g. 9g carbs if *all* those carbs are sugar. Guaranteed to spike me, whereas a 9g carb food which has hardly any sugar produces a slower, less alarming rise.
My experience has been somewhat different. I think I need to take account of both the carb percentage and also the carb quantity. I generally don't eat any sucrose/glucose/fructose at all.

Even in the context of my ~20g carb/day routine a 9g item can be accommodated and often is completely OK for me. I am totally not bothered at all about the rise, which is demonstrating how you digest the item - I am however far more concerned about how quickly it comes down, because that is what shows you how well your system is clearing glucose.

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I find the “of which are sugars” quite helpful if the figure was snapping at the heels of the overall carb count as someone who injects ? (What to hopefully expect on the dose timing.)

But the 44gs is what I’d use in the log..

Hope this helps.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM