Carers allowance

Discussion in 'Benefits' started by Tryingtolivelowcarb, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Tryingtolivelowcarb

Tryingtolivelowcarb Member

Hi 3rd time iv tried this hope it works. Can someone tell me if I work and get dla high rate care can someone else claim care allowance for looking after me.
    Many thanks.
  2. JUSTFOCUS

JUSTFOCUS Active Member

Hi
    if you work while your on dla you will find that you will recieve a letter of ATOS to attend a medical focused interview which will contradict your DLA claim and possibly your claim could be replaced with ESA be very carefull with your benefits as you will end up being told your fit to go to work. :wink:
  3. Sid Bonkers

Sid Bonkers Well-Known Member

As far as I am aware the higher rate DLA care allowance is to help you pay for your care! Your carer is not entitled to claim it.

Also you would not be allowed to claim it if you are able to look after your self, so as already said be very careful.
  4. sugarless sue

sugarless sue Forum Regular

A carer can claim Carers Allowance for anybody on the middle or high rate of care DLA. The carer gets the money direct but it may be deducted from the person's DLA. Only one person can claim Carers Allowance for the person being looked after so, if there is more than one carer only one gets the Allowance.

I don't know, however if there is any difference if you are working.
  5. bowell

bowell Active Member

If you are on the upper rate DLA Care component

Someone else can claim Carer's Allowance? for looking after you .
    when someone else is caring for you for more than 35hrs@week

The weekly Carer's Allowance rate is £53.90 Not really a weeks wage is it ?
    for 35hrs works out £1.54 @hr

The person you care for could lose the severe disability premium in their income-related benefit or the addition for severe disability in their Pension Credit. If you only have an underlying entitlement to Carer's Allowance and are not actually paid it, this will not affect the benefits of the person you care for.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTa...sAndOtherSupport/Caringforsomeone/DG_10018705
  6. lovinglife

lovinglife Well-Known Member

My son gets highest level DLA (not diabees related) and I claim seperately for carers allowance - it's a flat payment of aprx £55 a week. The Carer has to claim not you - it is a totally seperate claim and they have to be doing a considerable amount of things for you that you can't do for yourself. ( I am not sure but I think they have to be doing more than 35 hrs a week care)

The best thing to do is go along to CAB with your carer who is going to make the claim they will be very helpful and can sort out someone to help with making the claim.

the carer is also allowed to earn a certain amount of money a week ( also not sure on that but I think it's about £100)- but they can only claim one carers allowance even if they do care for more than one person.

Just because you work doesn't mean you don't need extra care or you will automatically lose your DLA
  7. bowell

bowell Active Member

No!
    As I believe /told Nothing is /can ever be deducted from DLA as its a non taxable befit set at fixed rates
    DLA is for your you to help cope with extra living expenses form your disability

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeo ... G_10012424
  8. lovinglife

lovinglife Well-Known Member

That's my understanding too Bowell :) -

I was told that DLA is for the extra expenses that your diability incurs above and beyond that of a non disabled person - But not to pay for carers.
  9. cugila

cugila Well-Known Member

Bob.
    I bow to your knowledge about these benefits but it is a fact that as you alluded to earlier :
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAnd ... G_10012529

It is other benefits of the person cared for that may be affected.....not the DLA as far as I am aware.
  10. bowell

bowell Active Member

Other befits Not your DLA
    ie
    Severe disability premium

Only thing can be taken from your DLA is the payment then only if you elect to use it too pay towards your mobility car,,, if you have one

I have Just phoned them to check

Mind you the CON-DEMS are going to change it all to the universal credit so only God knows
    Whats going to happen ,,

Its why you have to OK the Carers payment to be linked to your DLA is to stop more then one person
    getting the cares allowance,

You can claim and receive DLA if you Work or Not and will not effect your income tax

If in any doubt your local council will have a benefits adviser to inform help you ,on what you can and can not apply for
  11. Tryingtolivelowcarb

Sorry I'm very worried now I have been working all my life and I have been getting high rate dla for 3 different illnesses 1 being diabetes. From reading this

Will I lose my dla because im working??

Also my second question. As I work does this mean that I cannot have a carer? Who can claim the carers allowance For caring for me, like say my mother or wife?

If I lose my dla because I work will I have to repay what I have already got.

Many thanks for all the replies.
  12. sugarless sue

You need a benefits expert to advise you. Start with CAB. The new regulations are a mine- field and ATOS take no prisoners !

The person that does the most caring for you should be the one to claim carers allowance.
  13. Tryingtolivelowcarb

does anyone else know if i work would i better to not claim dla??
  14. sugarless sue

Only you know your personal circumstances. If you are eligible for DLA but can also work then you need to ask the experts.

No one here is an expert although some have knowledge through personal experience.
  15. bowell

bowell Active Member

If you are eligible for DLA ,,looks like you are as you are already receiving DLA

You can receive DLA if you Work or Not
    DLA is to cover the extra costs of being disabled DLA is a NON taxable benefit
    that every eligible Disabled person entitled to

I use mine to help purchase a better electric wheelchair
    You could use yours for a car to help get you to work or spend it on wheelchair taxis

If you are having problems understanding the benefits system

Go and see citizens advice or local benefits adviser at your local council