Cataract surgery today - advice please.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
One thing I am still worried about as I head off for surgery this afternoon. When they measured my eyes for the new corrective lenses they will inset, the visual acuity I saw in the measurement machine was OK, but noticeably worse than my glasses.

I am unusual because my visual acuity is really good, 20/20 or whatever. The cataracts just give me very bad field of vision and glare. Can anyone comment on this? Is it normal that the visual acuity on the measurement machine for the replacement corrective lenses looks worse than your current glasses or contact lenses?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Spiker, when you have cataracts done they do lenses for distance only on the NHS so most end up with reading glasses at least. Can't help in any other way except to wish you good luck.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Spiker, when you have cataracts done they do lenses for distance only on the NHS so most end up with reading glasses at least. Can't help in any other way except to wish you good luck.

I'm sure I was given a choice between the two CarbsRok, although I did opt for the distance lens in the end.

I'm not sure of the answer Spiker but good luck for this afternoon.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I couldn't comment on the technical aspects of the machines they use to measure your eyesight, but I ended up with 6/5 (20/16) acuity in one eye and 6/6 (20/20) in the other so I don't need glasses for driving etc. but I do for reading. Anything 6 feet or more away is in pretty good focus and the colour and contrast is fantastic compared to pre-op.

Reactions: 5 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Resting and recovering from cataract op. It was weird, and tense at points, but not painful, and mercifully swift. Probably less than ten minutes of grisly stuff and no more than a minute of incision. I didn't feel a thing.

Reactions: 8 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Resting and recovering from cataract op. It was weird, and tense at points, but not painful, and mercifully swift. Probably less than ten minutes of grisly stuff and no more than a minute of incision. I didn't feel a thing.

Great news, I do think we can worry ourselves stupid at the thought of anyone doing surgery to the eyes, have you got a an eye patch to wear for the evening or did they not bother.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad it went well. Hopefully you will be amazed tomorrow when the eye guard comes off.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are like my dad when he had his done, you'll be booking the next op on the other eye asap, he was very pleased with the outcome

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hope you recover well Spiker and blood sugar's are not affected too badly. I have Cataracts in both eyes, but no treatment as yet.

All the best, rest up and take good care :)

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I actually wanted to book the next day, as I found out that's possible. But with diabetics they insist on waiting a few weeks to make sure it's all OK.

Reactions: 3 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great ! :)

I'm glad it's over , that it went well and wasn't too traumatic :)

Take heart @PaulinaB , the man who was deemed anxious was trying to book the other eye the next day :D

Good to have you back with us so swiftly, Spiker :)

Signy

Reactions: 4 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If I was at the end of a tunnel, I would literally be able to see light. Not much more at the moment, but definitely a big circle of light. :)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I opted out of the sedation and just took the local. Hence I made it home without that "chucked out the pub at 1.30am" feeling.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I opted out of the sedation and just took the local. Hence I made it home without that "chucked out the pub at 1.30am" feeling.
Glad you are feeling ok, just so no one else worries about sedation, may I point out there is no chucked out of the pub feeling. You feel normal as soon as the sedation is stoped as you are put under so lightly. :) You wouldn't have had the op without a local I can assure you.

Last edited by a moderator:

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Glad it went well spiker and I am sure it will continue (with us all crossing our fingers) to be well. I can now say with confidence that you will see us all soon :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad it went well!

How soon will you know how good the new vision is?