1. Handy Hint: You can tag users in a post to attract their attention by typing @username - Try tagging Giverny in some posts by using @Giverny

Cauliflower..good or bad

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by laroc, May 4, 2012.

1. laroc

laroc Member

Hi all, can anyone tell me if cauliflower is a good vegetable for diabetics or if it is full of carbs? Are there some vegetables that are better for diabetics than others?
    Thankyou
    Carol
  2. Defren

Defren New Member

Cauli is good, very good. You can mash it as as substitute for mashed potato, grate it to make substitute rice, or have it as regular cauliflower. A diabetics staple.
  3. laroc

laroc Member

Thats brilliant thankyou very much.
  4. noblehead

noblehead Forum Regular

Very good :thumbup:
  5. viviennem

viviennem Well-Known Member

For a list of very low carb veg, have a look at Viv's Modified Atkins Diet which is in the Sticky Thread section. I'm not suggesting you use the whole diet (though it does work! :D ), but the list of veg and salad is all stuff you can eat without too much problem. Tomatoes are a bit higher carb but they're full of good nutrients, which is why they're in there.

I suggest you get yourself a carb counter book - there are plenty about, Collins do one in their Gem series which has a few inaccuracies but which is portable. You'll soon learn what you can eat in quantities, what are 'small portions only', and which to avoid.

As a rule of thumb, if it grows underground don't eat it!

Viv 8)
  6. hanadr

hanadr Well-Known Member

I adore cauliflower. It can be prepared in so many delicious ways. I have to admit my absolute favourite is crumb coated [ ground flax seed crumb.] and deep fried. It's just heavenly. However, I also love cauliflower soup and cauliflower cheese. Left over steamed cauli in scrambled egg is fantastic too.An all round excellent vegetable
    Hana
  7. chocoholicnomore

chocoholicnomore Active Member

I like to smother it with grated cheese!
  8. Paul1976

Paul1976 Well-Known Member

Me too!! :D + I love it in a vegetable curry or as a Cauliflower Bhaji side dish.
  9. WhitbyJet

WhitbyJet Well-Known Member

I would be lost without caulifloweer, its so versatile, mashed with lots of butter, as rice from risotto to pilau rice and we all love the cauliflower roasties.
    CAULIFLOWER ROASTIES
    by WhitbyJet » March 19th, 2012, 3:20 pm

CAULIFLOWER ROASTIES

We would be lost withut our cauliflower, its so versatile!

1 medium cauliflower ibrokennto small florets

50ml cream

2 tablespoons butter

1 cup grated cheese (mature is best)

4 egg whites

salt and pepper

any other spices / herbs to taste (tarragon and parsley is nice)
    _______________________________________________________________________________

Place butter, cream and cauliflower in a microwaveable bowl that can withstand microwave, cook on high for 2 minutes. The cauliflower should be cooked but still have some firmness, al dente is the expression I was looking for.

Add the cheese in the bowl with the cooked cauliflower. Mash cheese, cauliflower, butter and cream with an electric beater. Do not mash the cauliflower into a paste, leave it quite chunky. Season with salt, pepper and any other spices and herbs.

Whisk the egg whites stiff. Add 1/3 of whites into cauliflower mixture and stir well, then carefully fold in the remaining egg whites into cauliflower.

Use a spoon and place the small mounds of the cauliflower mixture onto a greased and kined baking sheet. If you want to be extra fancy, you can well use a icing bag with a big nozzle.
    Roast in the oven at 180 degrees for approx. 20 minutes, or until golden brown and firm. .

These are not very crispy, if you wanted a bit more crunch you can take them out of the oven before end of cooking time and fry them in clarified butter

In the photo you can see the roasties have been seved with a pork chop cooked with cream sauce.(Melt clarified butter in a pan, fry pork chops until cooked, remove from the pan, add a good glug of cream, stir well, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen all the meat juices, season as desired, we used salt, pepper, dash of Worcestershiresauce, pour sauce over chops, serve with cauli roasties and vegetables/salad of your choice)
    http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... etter.html
  10. Paul1976

Paul1976 Well-Known Member

I use 'Ghee' a lot-Is that clarified butter? sorry to sound thick! :lol:
  11. Patch

Patch Well-Known Member

12. Braxton43

Braxton43 Member

Yes cauliflower can be a healthy choice for people with diabetes. Also you can try this Amaranth, Artichoke, Artichoke hearts, Asparagus, Baby corn, Bamboo shoots, Beans, Brocolli, Bean sprouts, Beets, Cauliflower, Celery.
  13. pms543

pms543 Active Member

Hana, what is the recipe for this? ( flax seed crumb one ) ta x
  14. hanadr

hanadr Well-Known Member

Cauliflower is BRILLIANT! and so versatile. From faux-tatoes, made of mashed cauli, through cauli and cheese, to deep fried breaded [lightly] cauli and my own personal favourite cauli soup.
    I mean to try breading cauli with ground flax seed and parmesan mix. I just ADORE cauli
    Hana
  15. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Well-Known Member

When O was in the Rhineland on holiday a few years ago Some of the restaurants had whole sections of the menu devoted enirly to cauliflower dishes. I have never been anywhere else in Germany so don' know wheeher that is the norm or not.
    Wis I had brought a menu back now!
  16. carty

carty Well-Known Member

When my husband has spag bol I use caulli instead of spag CAULLI BOLLI
    CAROL
  17. storryvickster

storryvickster Member

jUST THOUGHT i WOULD SHARE MY EASY PEASY CAULIFLOWER, BROCCOLI AND CHEESE SOUP RECIPE WITH YOU ALL, ITS JUST A PIT YOU CANT HAVE IT WITH A LARGE CHUNK OF CRUSTY BREAD WITH IT BUT HEY HO, A SMALL SLICE OF NIMBLE BROWN AT 8 G CARB WILL HAVE TO DO!!!! 1 MEDIUM CAULI AND 1 MEDIUM HEAD OF BROCCOLI, WASH AND CUT UP SMALL IN A PAN OF WATER, NO SEASONING, BOIL UNTIL SOFT, TAKE OFF HOB AND ADD 1 VEGETABLE STOCK CUBE, STIR IN, YOU MIGHT WANT TO DISSOLVE FIRST IN WATER DEPENDING ON WHICH BRAND YOU USE, BLEND UNTIL YOU REACH DESIRED CONSISTENCY, SOME LIKE IT THICKER, i PREFER IT SMOOTHER, RETURN TO HOB AND STIR IN ANY CHEESE, STILTON IS GOOD, BUT I USE REDUCED FAT CHEDDER, WAIT TILL MOST OF THE CHEESE IS MELTED, GIVE ANOTHER WHIZZ WITH THE BLENDER AND THERE YOU GO, FABULOUS! SERVES ABOUT 5 GENEROUSLY, FOR A BIGGER BATCH USE DOUBLE THE QUANTITIES AND FREEZE HALF IN TUPPERWARE CONTAINER(SHOWING MY AGE THERE) FOR LATER USE. ENJOY, VICKY. :D
  18. storryvickster

storryvickster Member

sORRY, RE: CAULIFLOWER,BROCCOLI AND CHEESE SOUP......FORGOT TO SAY SEASON TO TASTE!!!!