Cellnovo handset (Video)

jbeer1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey All

John here again for my second video regarding the Cellnovo handset.
Video can be found here:

Firstly a few notes. The video image is not perfect but hopefully it is clear enough for a quick look (make sure you view in at least 720 dpi). I tried a number of devices to record. This was overall the best I could do with my limited equipment/experience. Secondly I am a nervous speaker, and I tend to ramble so forgive me for this. I have noticed a few small mistakes, one is at the very start of the video. I say "this looks like an normal device".... meant to say mobile smart phone device or something similar.

The handset is one of my favouite aspects of the cellnovo pump. It is small and allows me to bolus etc on the fly and to anyone looking on it looks like I am simply texting. The information it gathers (Blood meter readings, carbs taken, activity insulin given etc) is automatically uploaded to the cloud using the same technology your mobile phone uses for its signal(without the phone charges lol). This information can then be read by you on the Cellnovo support site.

I will be covering the cellnovo website features in a later video but for now its much like the Medtronics upload website where you or your DSN can review your regime. Only much easier to use, again we will see that in a future video.

If you have any questions or wish me to clarify any points I will do my best to answer.Hope you enjoy the video

John

Reactions: 2 people

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you so much for putting out that film. I want a Cellnovo pump but have another two years with my current pump. So hopefully by then they will be in widespread use.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One question, do you need to have the handset on and near the pump at all times, or will it continue to chunter on with the basal profile independently?

jbeer1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The handset is independent of the pump. You use it to alter any settings and administer insulin. It collects information from the pump and sends automatically to the cloud. For this I would advise the handset to be with you so it syncs with the pump and uploads frequently.
The pump is the brains of the system the handset just collates and allows you to activate stuff like boluses etc. Once the profile for basal is set the pump will just carry on.

jbeer1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The handset automatically turns on every 15 minutes to monitor the pump and upload. However if pump not found it will sync when next in range. In my small house it doesn't have a problem if its in adjacent room though

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, I occaisionally work in hazardous atmospheres, so having the handset in my pocket walking around site and transmitting could be contentious. No more so than having the pump itself to be honest, but there some people in the industry who can't take a common sense approach to the risk of these kind of things.

andrew2

Hi Andrew, sorry only just got home. I believe so but only used the 90 degree ones. Give them an email sure the guys there be able to help.

Thanks, John. Watching the video again, I see a few moments when the screen pauses for 3-4 seconds and I wonder whether you find this acceptable? I imagine the controller is pausing to establish its connection to the pump unit and would not bother me so long as the pausing occurs at predictable moments in the bolus process versus random pausing. You may not ever use the Dual--phase bolus but I wonder if it is possible to set another bolus while a Dual-phase is still active?

Update: I emailed Cellnovo and they were kind enough to reply that they system does not allow bolusing again during an active bolus, i.e. if you need to bolus during an active dual-phase bolus, you would have to first cancel the dual-phase. They also said they are considering slanted sets but there is no time-frame for that.

Last edited by a moderator: