CGM - Where do you wear yours ?

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bread, Potatoes, anything Carby
Still new to the CGM game, been using mainly my upper arm but when sleeping I tend to sleep with on my side, and keep getting alarms (Dexcom G7 ) saying signal lost, when I move my arm the signal comes back, tried it on my abdomen once, but it bled quite a bit, so dexcom told me to remove and sent out a replacement, anyone have ideas for alternative sites ?

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Interesting that this came up because I was going to post the same question. After months of wearing it (Libre) on the underside of my arm if I hold my arm out straight, palm down, halfway between my elbow and my armpit, I have had two in a row fail because the filament has dislodged. Not the sensor, the filament. I can only assume that my bingo wings caused by my rapid weight loss no longer provide a “flat” surface.

Now I have placed the new one about 4” from the point of my shoulder on the top of my arm. It is more vulnerable to bumps and knocks, but doesn’t seem so liable to the pressure drop when lying on that side. Time will tell - day 5 at the moment.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I either use my high upper arm or my.abdomen.
If I am usng.my arm, I pla e it as far back as I can reach (I am quite flexible), as high as I can go without hitting my shoulder and as far "under" without going in my arm pit. This is rarely visible in summer, never catches when going through a door and too high to lie on.
If I am using my abdomen, I place it high in the area between my ribs. I would place it lower but I need to keep it away from my pump which is below my belly button.

Edited to add : both the areas I mentioned do not "bend". For me, the most common reason for losing a sensor in the past was not placing it on a flat area or on an area that moved when I forced. Seems obvious but sensors do not bend but arms and abdomen do and when that happens, the sensor starts to peel off.

Last edited:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I wear mine on the rear side high up on my upper arm and cover it with a waterproof plaster so I don’t knock it off.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Back of the arms, abdomen sides, lower back and inner thighs. Libre 2 and Dexcom G6.

Finnlee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I rotate my G6 between my upper outer arm, upper inner arm (so it's facing my ribs when my arm is down at my sides) and my outer forearm (so if I hug my body with the sensor arm, the sensor would be facing out).

I rotate left and right side, and (with the G6) place the round side of the sensor aimed out toward my hand for one rotation, then facing in toward my shoulder for one rotation. It's probably unnecessary, but it doesn't hurt anything and varies the exact site of the filament a bit.

Outer forearm is definitely my favourite spot - I get the best readings, it's less prone to getting bumped (because I can see it), it doesn't lose contact with my pump and phone, and the adhesive stays in the best condition compared to the other two spots.

Outer forearm is not approved by Dexcom as far as I know, so I don't expect replacements, but I've never had issues with any of my Dexcom sensors in this spot so that's not something I'm worried about.

• Useful
  • Informative
Reactions: EllieM and aylalake

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Inside of my bicep , chest , belly , probably anywhere except where Abbot recommend, oh I am such a rebel hehehe

TimLibre

I wear the libre on my upper legs sometimes, at the same spot where you could inject insulin. For me it works but it is not recommended by abbot.
Relax your leg (let it hang a bit) if you place it there, dont put it too low but als not too high on your upperleg.

Last edited:

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
I wear mine on my shoulder, but below and much closer to my back than the place where I give injections. I also like to sleep on my side, in this position I do not lie down on the sensor

Reactions: aylalake

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low abdomen is a risky area, if wearing tighter jeans or such like.

I sometimes go for upper, outer chest, well to the side, almost in my armpit.

I find that to be super discreet, and can easily be hidden by not much clothing, or even a bikini top, although that may not be a consideration for you @Diabeticger .

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Low abdomen is a risky area, if wearing tighter jeans or such like.

I sometimes go for upper, outer chest, well to the side, almost in my armpit.

I find that to be super discreet, and can easily be hidden by not much clothing, or even a bikini top, although that may not be a consideration for you @Diabeticger .
not worried about it being discreet, I'd wear one on my forehead if it meant comfort and accuracy, going to try upper arm facing into the body next time, and I'll report back

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
On my upper arm. I am always a side sleeper so I don't directly place them on the inside or outside of the arm because otherwise I cause compression lows. So a little off center. Plus if they are directly on the outside, I hit it on doorways way too easily.

Herbie1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I swap my Dexcom G6 between upper arms. Occasionally alarms in the night for loss of communication, but pretty happy with positions.
Daren't try tummy as my sites get sore quite quickly so don't think I'd manage 10 days straight in one place on there.

Reactions: Marie 2

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
Upper arms too, only to try and stop knocking them off

RoughcutAU

I wear my libre on the backs of my upper arms (exactly where libre advise) and use a Typestrong patch to keep it there. Rarely have issues - do get a few compression lows when on left side (i switch sides every 14 days) which i just deal with.

Reactions: PumpenBiene

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I wear my G6 on the belly never had an issue

I hated the libre as always hurt on the arms

I’ve just got a trail G7 on the back of my arm and that’s hurting

Soon going to have the option of switching from the G6 to the g7 and I think I will decline as I hate the constant pain

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
When using a G6 I used it on my abdomen, switching from left to right sides. However it was always difficult to find positions where it was not under my waistband, prone to being caught in skin folds when bending, or directly over a rib. Now on G7 which I use solely on my upper arms (alternating each time) -dislodged a couple when knocking against a doorway, etc, so now position more to the back of my arms.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always wear mine on my abdomen I have a G4. When I wore a libre I had it on the back of my arm but kept knocking it off so swapped to my abdomen and kept with that when I got my Guardian. I’ve never had issues and I’m someone who also wears leggings so yes it does show through but honestly it keeps me alive and well so I don’t care.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
Warning -- body parts mentioned

I'm type 2 but my drug plan covers libre 1 and 2.
I have a 2.
And I have tried everywhere. It just won't stay on.
Finally I discovered it stays kind of on my breast. Like on the side of it and only on my left.
And I'm a stomach sleeper so don't ask me why it stays on there!!

• Funny
Reactions: filly

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Warning -- body parts mentioned

I'm type 2 but my drug plan covers libre 1 and 2.
I have a 2.
And I have tried everywhere. It just won't stay on.
Finally I discovered it stays kind of on my breast. Like on the side of it and only on my left.
And I'm a stomach sleeper so don't ask me why it stays on there!!
are you using over patches ?

Reactions: cdpm