Chana Dal

PickledPepper

Generally I've doing reasonably well on the food front and identified many 'bad' foods for me through testing.

I got a bit of a shock today though. On a quest to try something different and healthy I chose tpo make some chana dal, which is some large lentil type thing.

The bloke who created the famous mendosa.com/chanadal.html Mendosa site for diabetes, sang its praises heavily! I used a recipe off the net.

So after a largish bowl I wasn't too shocked to find myself 8.3 at 1 hour. But at 2 hours I was 9.2! That's the highest 2 hour reading I've had in a while! Maybe chana isn't as good as it is made out for some of us?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It was probably down to your serving size PP, as Chana Dal is a very low gi food, and is rated on average 8 in the GI table. Its absolutely delicious, nutritious and very low-fat too, and is great for people with diabetes as it doesn't usually cause the post-meal spikes associated with other foods. Next time try reducing your portion by a third and substitute with a side salad or veggies and then test, hopefully your bg will a lot lower.

Nigel