Cheap "cup" measures in Asda

banjo brunette

Since I've started low carbing I've found that a lot of the best-sounding recipes are American - with everything quoted in cups, half-cups, etc. I went out last week to buy some measures and I was very disappointed as the only ones I could find in town were a £30+ set of Nigella Lawson ones, which I didn't buy :shock: When I went to Asda that evening I found a great plastic set for 80 pence - I bought 'em... They've been great :D :D
Cheers, BB

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a good bargain - now you can get cooking again.
I also have some US cup measures and for years they were hardly used - until I got diagnosed last year - now I use them almost daily to make Percy's 1 minute microwave bread (well it takes longer in my microwave) suggested in another thread. Especially useful is the 1/3 measure as plenty of normal plastic jug measures have 1 cup and 1/2 cup lines but not 1/3.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I got a set of "cup" and a set of "spoons" from Dunelm Mills; didn't cost much. Dunelm is a good source of all sorts of things, especially good is the kitchen section.
Hana

banjo brunette

Yum, I've been away from the computer this evening baking lovely low carb muffins using my new measuring cups. Funny, I never had any success baking 'normal' muffins but these came up a treat! I cooked a dozen and they will have to go into work with me tomorrow as they're far too moreish to be safe at home - I've already scoffed two :wink: Will they freeze, does anyone know? They're one third soya flour, one third ground almonds, one third dessicated coconut, a LOT of oil and eggs....
Cheers, BB :D

betic

hi banjo..really fancy these muffins as i am gagging for a bit bread/cake!! how do i put it all together?..any recipe?

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Yes, please, a recipe would be great, they sound delish. :D

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
betic said:
hi banjo..really fancy these muffins as i am gagging for a bit bread/cake!! how do i put it all together?..any recipe?

Fill a 1/4 or 1/3 cup with ground almonds, soya flour, oat bran, dessicated coconut etc in any ratio
add 1/2 teasp baking powder
transfer to a small m/wave proof pudding bowl & mix thoroughly
one egg
1one tabsp oil
mix thoroughly to a smooth paste & scrape down the sides
m/wave on full for 1 - 1 1/4 mins
tap out & allow to cool
it has a light spongy texture, easy to slice
good for soaking up gravy or with soup

All sorts of variations are possible:-
use benecol or flora pro-v instead of oil
sweeten for cake
add cocoa powder, sultanas, cranberries, blueberries, spices ....
enjoy

banjo brunette

Ooh, sorry thought this thread had faded away.... Here's the recipe I used -it made about 12 muffins.

Ingredients:
Vegetable oil spray for muffin tin
1 cup soya powder or sifted soy flour
1 cup finely ground almonds
1 1/4 cups granular sugar substitute
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 medium carrot, coarsely grated (1 cup loosely packed)
Replace 1 medium carrot, coarsely grated (1 cup loosely packed) with ½ cup desiccated coconut.
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease one 12-cup muffin tin; set aside. In a large bowl whisk together bake mix, ground almonds, sugar substitute, cinnamon, salt and baking powder.In a medium bowl, whisk vegetable oil, eggs, carrot, and vanilla extract. Pour carrot mixture into soy mixture. Mix until just combined. Divide batter in muffin tins.Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown, and a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.

I went with the coconut version - make sure the coconut is unsweetened - and used less sweetener than the recipe asks for. i don't know exactly what the carb count is per muffin but it came from the Atkins site originally (it came to me secondhand).

enjoy!

Cheers, BB :D