Check Up

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
how often should a t2 have a check up
Depends what were talking about. HbA1c every six months. Foot check six monthly or annually. Retinopathy screening annually. Why haven't your health team told you this?

Reactions: SimonCrox

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
how often should a t2 have a check up

Might be a post code lottery, I've never had my feet checked, only tickled at the same time as my annual HbA1c. I see a podiatrist every 6 weeks off my own bat. Retinopathy screening is annual but I have had to chase them on a couple of occasions.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Might be a post code lottery, I've never had my feet checked, only tickled at the same time as my annual HbA1c. I see a podiatrist every 6 weeks off my own bat. Retinopathy screening is annual but I have had to chase them on a couple of occasions.
My retinopathy letter is sent automatically. Everything else I have to chase up.

Robin101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Whenever they need one would be the answer. Or more specifically it depends on your control and management of T2 along with other risk factors. NICE guidelines are deliberately ' goal setting' (vague?)

Your treatment should be discussed with your healthcare professional along with monitoring.

Plenty of surgeries opt for 6 monthly Hb test and retinopathy/neuropathy yearly. Bloods yearly.

I think my surgery are generally ok, but I am not too demanding. Mostly because I self test every day so I know when things are ticking along ok. - or not.

Anyone else?

Reactions: SimonCrox

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm currently asking for and getting a 3 monthly HbA1c. My GP said I don't need to see the nurse as I'm so well controlled, and can have my feet tickled any time I'm in for something else. I love my GP - she's amazing. I even get a supply of test strips on prescription! I've only had my initial eye test and assume I'll get an appointment at one year. Because I declined statins (which my GP supported) she said there's no point doing 3 monthly cholesterol - that will be 6 monthly.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm currently asking for and getting a 3 monthly HbA1c. My GP said I don't need to see the nurse as I'm so well controlled, and can have my feet tickled any time I'm in for something else. I love my GP - she's amazing. I even get a supply of test strips on prescription! I've only had my initial eye test and assume I'll get an appointment at one year. Because I declined statins (which my GP supported) she said there's no point doing 3 monthly cholesterol - that will be 6 monthly.
That's great. Feel like I should move

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's great. Feel like I should move
emoji3.png
She is truly amazing and I feel so supported in how I want to manage my diabetes. Sorry, I'm not prepared to share her!:angelic:

Reactions: SimonCrox and dbr10

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are specific guidelines in the NICE documents. I think it is 3 monthly initially, then 6 monthly, then when everything including medication is stable, annually. With foot tickling and retinopathy screening annually.

Currently I have full bloods 6 monthly and am called in by letter for these. It also includes a urine dip stick. I see the nurse once a year. She checks the pulse in my feet and uses the tickling stick, takes my BP etc. and sends off my urine to the lab for full analysis. I receive a letter for my retinopathy check once a year. I have never seen a GP.

Reactions: dbr10

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ive been on annual checks in endo clinic for years as mycontrol & meds have been stable. My next review has been scheduled for 9 month gap due to my meds being halved last time round.

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Currently blood tests every 3 months because my diabetes has been out of control but sorting it now!!. Retinopathy screening annually as with diabetes MOT. :)