1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

chest pain

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Roberta, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Roberta

Roberta Type 1 · Active Member

ive been diabetic for 9 years now and for 3 years have suffered from chest pain on and off.

doctors said its not from diabetes, its anxiety but i really dont think it is!

ive been hospital a lot in the past with high keytones and know that that can effect your organs!

was wondering if this is the reason why i could be having chest pains?

2. Tracey69

Tracey69 · Well-Known Member

HI
    I was wondering do you get alot of indigestion.
    Are you getting pains all the time or only at certain times eg- when going out on your own, or any time?
    Have they changed any meds, checked your cholesterol, thyroid, blood pressure.
    Ketones may give you a racing heartbeat as you may be dyhydrated or even a hypo can cause these problems.
    Hope you feel better soon, just remember we can only advise, we are not doctors.
    The only reason i ask these things as i have had the same problems in the past and i am now awaiting to see cardiologist.
    Take care
    Tracey

3. Pneu

Pneu · Well-Known Member

Roberta... as a long term on and off sufferer of anxiety and panic attacks I can confirm that certainly one of my more common symptoms is pain in the left hand side of my chest.. Stress / Anxiety is a funny thing and can cause quite serious mental and physical responses in our body.

If you are really worried (I was) then perhaps you can ask for some further investigation (often the worry of a problem causes the anxiety that only makes it worse!) and then they can put your mind at rest... my concern previously was always about my heart! but I have had a couple of ECG's and all has been fine..

4. Roberta

No medicines have changed, i can be anywhere and get them, in bed, waching tv, out somewhere, literally anywhere.

it gets to the point where i nearly have to call an ambulance.

sometimes its just constant pain and sometimes it comes in sections and gets stronger and stronger.

it can sometimes wake me up when im asleep, just want to get it sorted, because with being diabetic i think the worse

5. Momblegoose

Momblegoose Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello Roberta

Pneu made a good point actually. I too have suffered anxiety and panic attacks and they are just as you describe. The strange thing is that you do not necessarily feel feel stressed or anxious before an attack but then, obviously, panic does grip you when you start to feel the pain and discomfort.

The first time it happened to me, I thought I was dying, I really did. I was just lying in bed reading and it started. Had tests etc and all was fine, it was just a panic attack.

If you really, truly are still worried, then why not ask to see a different doctor at your practice? If nothing else, they may be able to put your mind at rest.

I hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

Hugs

Momblegoose xx

6. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

Hi,
    If it is anxiety, it can be a vicious circle. You get anxious and the chest pain appears which results in more worry and the chest pain seems to get worse.
    Ask your G.P. if you can have an ECG. Some surgeries already have a machine there and it would put your mind at rest.
    Has your G.P. suggested any help with the anxiety that he thinks you are experiencing?

7. Roberta

Thank you for your comments, by reading your comments, maybe it is just anxiety, its a horrible feeling.
    i just panic about it thinking im unhealthy or something. my bloodsugar is well controlled now and ive started the gym
    to see if that helps. just hope it gets better soon.

if it is anxiety is there any tips you could give me to calm the pain down?

8. mistee71

mistee71 · Well-Known Member

Roberta, does the pain go through to your back? Is it in the centre of your chest or off to one side? Is there any other symptoms with it like sickness or shoulder pain?

9. weeezer

weeezer · Well-Known Member

just wanted to reach out & say (as well as the other posters) that i am a frequent sufferer of extreme anxiety & panic attacks. i can go nearly a year with nothing, then my heart goes 'funny' and i tip over into some kind of health anxiety frenzy. yes, there may be a little something actually happening, but what it triggers is astronomical...

then before i know it, i'm not necessarily consciously worrying, but the panicy feelings just appear on their own with no real prompt.

i feel like i've made it all up when i'm feeling well, but it slaps me across the cheeks when i'm in an anxious phase and takes on a life of it's own. feel like my heart is racing/fluttering and can't quite catch my breath sometimes.

go pester the docs. my doctors always look at A1c and say, you're fine. but age is teaching me is DON'T get fobbed off. over-exagerate if you have to, and get a bunch of tests done. then you can see if there really is something wrong...or can learn to relax more because it's nothing. good luck! sounds like there are a few of us worriers out there.

10. Riri

Riri Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hia - I am another T1 diabetic who suffers similar panic attacks and times of accute anxiety. I have tended not to to discuss them because I think it's ME but, having read all your posts, I can see I am not alone. Had an ECG and a tilt test amongst other things but, apart from low blood pressure which is not bad enough to treat, everything was clear. However there are several times when I have to open windows at home and in the car because i cant get my breath and a feeling of not being able to swallow and chest pains. These happen randomly but are definately worse when I'm worried about work or my diabetes. Of course I'm not glad that others are suffering but it's it reassuring to speak to other people who know what you're feeling. All the best everyone Riri x

11. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook