Chocolate treats

dipsydo

Waitrose have on offer 99% Lindt Dark chocolate only 8 gm of carbs per 100gm I could not eat more than a couple of squares and I found not too palatable but got quite a "happiness hit" from the chocolate content . If I am honest I prefer Tesco 85% ( which needs will power to restrict to 2 squares and is 22gms per 100gm) . Also my local Tesco express have a Dark chocolate nut and sea salt bar called Kind ( in the free from area as no gluten or dairy ) Carbs per 40 gm bar 16 but fibre 7 so net carbs 9 . Also I found that I only wanted to eat half a bar as it was so rich and very nice so in my case well worth the 4.5 net carbs as a treat.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree on the Lindt 99%. I bought some to try it, but discarded most of it. The Lindt 90% however, is delicious and only 14 carbs per 100g, so 2 squares - which is plenty - are only 2.8 carbs.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I dont know how you can eat dark chocolate its so bitter,its vile!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont know how you can eat dark chocolate its so bitter,its vile!

I used to think that, but my tastes have changed on a very low carb diet. I haven't eaten milk chocolate since diagnosis but suspect it would be far too sweet for me now.

Reactions: dbr10

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
...Also my local Tesco express have a Dark chocolate nut and sea salt bar called Kind ( in the free from area as no gluten or dairy ) Carbs per 40 gm bar 16 but fibre 7 so net carbs 9 . Also I found that I only wanted to eat half a bar as it was so rich and very nice so in my case well worth the 4.5 net carbs as a treat.
Sorry to disappoint you, but the 16g carbs that are shown in the nutritional info are the carbs you actually get to eat. In the UK we don't deduct fibre from the carbs figure because it's already calculated separately - it's the USA that use net carbs as they do include fibre in their total carbs figure. So UK total carbs = US net carbs.

Robbity

But PS: just check you glucose levels to see if it's still a treat that you're OK with and happy to eat.

Reactions: luceeloo and dbr10

dipsydo

Thanks I was interested in your comment about gross and net carbs - I tend in my food diary to record gross carb so was only 8 I am not very low carb , so generally below 60 so fitted OK within that parameter.. My bsg stayed stable after eating the half bar but I will keep it firmly as a treat .