Cholesterol meds

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I'm a newly diagnosed T2 on metformin and doing LCHF. Gp has advised me to take a statin as prevention but I haven't collected the persription as yet.
What are your thoughts?
Awaiting blood levels results.
Thanks

Reactions: Liam1955

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Personally I wouldn't take them. Lots of potential side effects and minimal benefit.

Reactions: Freema

Voodoorising

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Lisa I am also newly diagnosed T2 after being ill for 3 months with a kidney infection and 3 kidney stones and was diagnosed after all the blood tests and losing weight. I saw my Dr and she wanted to also put me on statins and Metformin but my diabetic nurse said no just Metformin and see how we go with that and a change in diet. I am also following an LCHF diet and I feel better for it. TBH if the nurse had not of said no to statins I would not have taken them anyway I know allot of people who take them and wish they hadn't. But hey we're all different.

Reactions: Prem51

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone. Just settling with the side effects of metformin so think I'll leave that prescription where it is and dig around a bit more.

Reactions: Prem51 and Liam1955

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you aren't taking some medication prescribed only explain what you're doing to your GP because otherwise he or she could make the wrong assumptions, for instance that are the statins that are lowering the cholesterol levels and not the diet.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. In my opinion Statins should not be taken just as a preventative as for some they have noticeable side effects. They should be offered if your Cholesterol total is too high e.g. above 5 mmol and the HDL/LDL ratio is bad. I can take statins with no obvious bad effects and my cholesterol total and ratios are very bad without them. I also have some arterial calcium deposits.

Mod edit to include the words 'In my opinion'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to know your blood results - the full breakdown of your cholesterol (LDL/HDL/Triglycerides/and ratios) before you make any decisions at all. You are working blind otherwise.

No-one on here can tell you whether to take them or not. When you get your results do your research and then decide. :)