Cholesterol

Jennifer78

Hi all,

Just found out from clinic I have a cholesterol level of 6.7. He says they've been monitoring it for a while but it's only come up as I'm approaching 40 and have had type 1 diabetes for 10 years. A healthy level is 5.5?

He didn't offer any advice yet other than to say it can't really be fixed but I can try & not make it worse. My dad has always had bad cholesterol & has been on statins for many years. Anyone else have this problem? What should I do? I already eat a lot of oats, whole grain, fruit & veg. I'm overweight but not drastically.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but loosing weight can sometimes help, and eating lots of garlic too ... my doctor said that my cholesterol levels were inheritedly high.. but after loosing a lot of weight and eating a lot of green leaves salats (and no sugar) and not so much read meat , my cholesterol went down to normal ... and I prooved my doctor wrong.... don´t know if you can do that... and excercise should sometimes help too..
years ago mine var about 7 too but now it is 4.3

Last edited:
Reactions: noblehead

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine is bouncing a long at +8 and not really responded to LCHF, probably need to work the fat a bit more rather than protein... meat. Not too sure if I am worried about it though...
Time will tell.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @Jennifer78

Ideally you should ask for a full lipid breakdown of your cholesterol....especially if you have a family history of familial hypercholesterolaemia.

The following are the target cholesterol levels that they want people with diabetes to aim for:

• Your total cholesterol level should be below 4.0mmol/l.
  • LDL levels should be less than 2.0mmol/l.
  • HDL levels should be 1.0mmol/l or above in men and 1.2mmol/l or above in women.
  • Triglyceride levels should be 1.7mmol/l or less.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Monitoring/Testing/

If possible try and lose any excess weight and up your exercise, both are said to help improve and maintain cholesterol levels but it may be difficult if you have FH, worth a try anyway.

Jennifer78

Thanks for the replies. Really appreciate your comments & advice. I had to give a blood sample this week so should find out on Tuesday when I'm at pump clinic. Think I may make an appointment with my own gp too to see what they suggest.