Cholesterol

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I went for my HBA1C the other day, it was good- 5.5 so pleased with that.
Unfortunately my cholesterol was a little high-6.2 I have got 3 months to get it down before next blood test.
I have posted about this before- got a weak spot for single cream in coffee & tea, haven't had any since the weekend. I do eat pretty healthy I think, eggs, fish, fruit-bananas, blueberries,apples sometimes & eat fair bit of veg, also natural yoghurt & like cheese too.also porridge
Is there anything better to be having so I can lower my cholesterol.
I am 27 year old female, pretty active & healthy

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did you get a breakdown of H and L? it could be your H has gone up which is a good thing!!

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Cut back on the cream and cheese and see if it makes a difference, linseeds are said to help lower cholesterol so try adding them to your morning porridge, also garlic is meant to help lower cholesterol too so make sure to add them to stews, casseroles etc.

There's some advice here from the Britsih Heart Foundation about high cholesterol:

http://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/conditions/high-cholesterol.aspx

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I went for my HBA1C the other day, it was good- 5.5 so pleased with that.
Unfortunately my cholesterol was a little high-6.2 I have got 3 months to get it down before next blood test.
I have posted about this before- got a weak spot for single cream in coffee & tea, haven't had any since the weekend. I do eat pretty healthy I think, eggs, fish, fruit-bananas, blueberries,apples sometimes & eat fair bit of veg, also natural yoghurt & like cheese too.also porridge
Is there anything better to be having so I can lower my cholesterol.
I am 27 year old female, pretty active & healthy

Hi, Jessd, you do not say whether you had an autoimmune screen and a thyroid profile test after your higher chol? Is it the LDL part of the total chol. that is higher than usual in your fasting lipid profile blood test? The first sign of hypothyroid disease is often a gradually increasing LDL - the second reason for raised LDL, after diet, is thyroid disease, or sub-clinical thyroid disease. It is very common in female Type 1s. My LDL started rising about a year before i had symptoms like a few pounds weight gain/ more tired. My total chol went from 3.8 - 4.5 to 5.6 then 6.2. then 6.5 , with the LDL ratio way out.

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It may not work for everyone but both myself and my mum had high cholesterol so we started eating a handful of blueberries with walnuts everyday for breakfast (on weetabix or other wheat based product) and both of ours fell quite dramatically. Mine went from 7.5 down to 5 in 3 months. I didn't really change anything else in my diet and I don't know if it was that small change that did it, but it worked for me.

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

Lucie

How many walnut halves do you use on yr weetabix? At the moment, I am eating porridge plus almonds and am wondering if walnuts might be better

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's literally a handful, but the important thing (according to various websites I googled) is that you have blueberries as well. It's the combination of the walnuts and blueberries that seems to work (for me anyway). I think almonds are also good, but again you need the combination of foods.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's literally a handful, but the important thing (according to various websites I googled) is that you have blueberries as well. It's the combination of the walnuts and blueberries that seems to work (for me anyway). I think almonds are also good, but again you need the combination of foods.

I have blueberries in my porridge every morning but didn't know they were good at lowering cholesterol. Instead of nuts I throw in some seeds as the porridge is cooking, one of them is linseeds which is meant to be really at helpful when it comes to optimum cholesterol levels.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Plus they're delicious - we grow them in the back garden - I'm hoping to be overrun with them in a few months.:)