Christmas advice ... Local News

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At least, 'They' are clearly trying, but such a shame 'they' can't put the full message across, in my opinion.

This is in my local newspaper (online) today, at an upcoming event, advising diabetics about how to enjoy Christmas without harming their health ,,, (https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/ecch-diabetes-health-christmas-event-lowestoft-1-6399883)

"Low sugar mince pies and chocolate will be available to taste test and experts will be discussing alternatives to other high sugar treats and cakes, as well as offering advice on improving fitness and losing weight"

There's no mention of watching carbs; only mentioning 'sugars' which most people seem to consider that means just the 'white stuff' that gets put on the table. Diabetics with Type 1 are encouraged to count Carbs so why dont diabetics with Type 2 get told this too? Coupled with being told 'no need to test', no wonder many Type 2 diabetics have lots of long-term problems, to say nothing of the added expense to the the NHS

I dispair!

Rant over (for now ...)

Reactions: Robbity and Gannet

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most annoying aspect is the fact that the report addresses...” diabetics “..... no mention of types let alone the management processes involved in the different types.
As a type 1 I’ve no problem with the article but can understand how type 2’s may feel differently.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is great they are offering such an event as lots of handy health professionals seem to be going alongside the commercial interests (Co op, Slimming World, gyms) but a low sugar mince pie or chocolate item is a contradiction in terms (e.g. soft Brexit) and I think what they mean is reduced sugar but lots of glucose to help you gain weight and further insulin resistance over Christmas.