Christmas eating

Jlewis

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I haven't been diagnosed but still testing but I've been doing lots of exercise to keep it low and it's been working I've managed to keep them at 3s and 4s but obviously at Christmas I can't exercise as much and will be eating different foods. Today I had a steak roll with mushrooms and onions and some chips. I still did a fair bit of exercise but my blood sugars 5 hours later were 4.9 and yeah I know that's not terrible but it kind of makes me think what it would be if I didn't exercise but I guess as long as it drops then that's all that matters and I suppose a couple of not so great days isn't a big deal.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
really dumb question why on earth are you measuring your bg. and trying to control your bg when its clear its very normal.stop eat healthy and keep fit andyou should never need to do it for real.

Reactions: Arlmy

Jlewis

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
really dumb question why on earth are you measuring your bg. and trying to control your bg when its clear its very normal.stop eat healthy and keep fit andyou should never need to do it for real.
Because I've been told I have onset diabetes and a few months back my blood sugars were in the 30s

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I'm not sure how wise it is to be aiming for 3s for anyone be they of any type of Diabetes or for those who do not have the condition. Surely, being in the 3s can so easily risk going too low too quickly.
You may not be aware that it is now thought that too tight control of bg may be as detrimental as too poor control. As for excercise, that affects different people in different ways.
If you have symptoms then see your GP with a view to being tested, not just for Diabetes but for other possible reasons for your symptoms.

Merry Christmas.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You may not be aware that it is now thought that too tight control of bg may be as detrimental as too poor control.

Hi @Guzzler that’s interesting. Do you have any links/references I could look at? Thanks.

Jlewis

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not sure how wise it is to be aiming for 3s for anyone be they of any type of Diabetes or for those who do not have the condition. Surely, being in the 3s can so easily risk going too low too quickly.
You may not be aware that it is now thought that too tight control of bg may be as detrimental as too poor control. As for excercise, that affects different people in different ways.
If you have symptoms then see your GP with a view to being tested, not just for Diabetes but for other possible reasons for your symptoms.

Merry Christmas.
I'm not aiming for it

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm not aiming for it
Sorry, but you are aiming for tight control, perhaps you could wait until you have a firm diagnosis and maybe relax your regime a little over the festive period. I am T2 and intend to ease my dietary rules for a couple of days over the Christmas period. My T2 management is good but I will join in the fun and partake of the foods I enjoy keeping one eye on possibly overdoing it. My testing kit is in a drawer to be forgotten temporarily until I decide to retreive it.

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
So I haven't been diagnosed but still testing but I've been doing lots of exercise to keep it low and it's been working I've managed to keep them at 3s and 4s but obviously at Christmas I can't exercise as much and will be eating different foods. Today I had a steak roll with mushrooms and onions and some chips. I still did a fair bit of exercise but my blood sugars 5 hours later were 4.9 and yeah I know that's not terrible but it kind of makes me think what it would be if I didn't exercise but I guess as long as it drops then that's all that matters and I suppose a couple of not so great days isn't a big deal.
But 3 is very low

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
your figures are not diabetic. the 30 what was that. a finger prick an hba1c and when was it done. if it was a one off i would be suspicious.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
plus if you were in the 30s assuming uk numbers. your doctor should have been sending you to hospital. a young fit man at those levelsthey would have needed to check for type 1.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read it in one of the articles by DCUKnewsbot right here on the forum.

Guzzler - My understanding was that those referred to in that article were using meds, not just D&E.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Guzzler - My understanding was that those referred to in that article were using meds, not just D&E.

Would you agree though that anyone, not specifically the OP, aiming for very tight control that resulted in readings in the 3s may be going a tad too far? The levels should rise and fall as gently as we can manage without going too far in any direction, we should not aim for flat-line because that is not the objective and it is certainly not how the human body works under normal circumstances. I am wondering how long a person could maintain such control without drugs?

Jlewis

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
plus if you were in the 30s assuming uk numbers. your doctor should have been sending you to hospital. a young fit man at those levelsthey would have needed to check for type 1.
They have checked and they said I'm onset for it I've done all the blood tests and glucose tolerance etc and they've told me to keep monitoring I've also done the standard eye examination and all fhe rest of it and getting regular appointments to see diabetic nurse and the dietician so I'm basically being treated as one.

When I first got confirmed they put me on glicazide and that made them drop in a mater of days but then it was getting far to low at 1s and 2s (even though I felt no ill no effects of those levels) so they took me off and I've been doing what I'm doing now since then

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
They have checked and they said I'm onset for it I've done all the blood tests and glucose tolerance etc and they've told me to keep monitoring I've also done the standard eye examination and all fhe rest of it and getting regular appointments to see diabetic nurse and the dietician so I'm basically being treated as one.

When I first got confirmed they put me on glicazide and that made them drop in a mater of days but then it was getting far to low at 1s and 2s (even though I felt no ill no effects of those levels) so they took me off and I've been doing what I'm doing now since then

I was unaware that you had been diagnosed as T2 but are they investigating the possibility that you may be T1? That will change the appropriate advice for you. You need the firm diagnosis because the dietary/excercise advice can be very different.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would you agree though that anyone, not specifically the OP, aiming for very tight control that resulted in readings in the 3s may be going a tad too far? The levels should rise and fall as gently as we can manage without going too far in any direction, we should not aim for flat-line because that is not the objective and it is certainly not how the human body works under normal circumstances. I am wondering how long a person could maintain such control without drugs?

Guzzler - @Jlewis talks of being in the 3s and 4s. I don't believe he's saying he is 3 (as in 3.0).

I'm no expert in LADA, so wouldn't like to make any huge statements, where there is chance that's what the OP is alluding to, but it seems like jlewis is choosing to eat a lower carb diet (I'm guessing that bit, due to the reference to the steak roll, onions and chips) and his unmedicated body is taking him to the 3s and 4s. If jlewis's body is currently making decent amounts of insulin, then that may be where his body is naturally running.

I regularly spend time in the 3s. Wearing a Libre shows some days I can spend considerable periods there - and I feel fine. Neither I nor 2 different Endos have any concerns about it, although one has warned me to keep a bit of an eye on things, due to the amount of auto-immune conditions strewn throughout my family, on both maternal and paternal lines.

If jlewis is in the early stages of a potential diabetes diagnosis, if he is eating LC, his body may have effectively been rested up a bit and allowed it to perform a bit better - for now.

It looks like Jlewis is keeping a keen eye on his blood glucose position, so is probably quite well placed to react if something out of the ordinary transpires.

@Jlewis - The foregoing are my observations and thoughts, and I may have got things wrong, but whatever you do, don't be guided by my musings.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Guzzler - @Jlewis talks of being in the 3s and 4s. I don't believe he's saying he is 3 (as in 3.0).

I'm no expert in LADA, so wouldn't like to make any huge statements, where there is chance that's what the OP is alluding to, but it seems like jlewis is choosing to eat a lower carb diet (I'm guessing that bit, due to the reference to the steak roll, onions and chips) and his unmedicated body is taking him to the 3s and 4s. If jlewis's body is currently making decent amounts of insulin, then that may be where his body is naturally running.

I regularly spend time in the 3s. Wearing a Libre shows some days I can spend considerable periods there - and I feel fine. Neither I nor 2 different Endos have any concerns about it, although one has warned me to keep a bit of an eye on things, due to the amount of auto-immune conditions strewn throughout my family, on both maternal and paternal lines.

If jlewis is in the early stages of a potential diabetes diagnosis, if he is eating LC, his body may have effectively been rested up a bit and allowed it to perform a bit better - for now.

It looks like Jlewis is keeping a keen eye on his blood glucose position, so is probably quite well placed to react if something out of the ordinary transpires.

@Jlewis - The foregoing are my observations and thoughts, and I may have got things wrong, but whatever you do, don't be guided by my musings.

Thank you for the clarifications, much appreciated.

Jlewis

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

No I'm saying 3s as in 3.0 but normally high 3 about 3.9 or 8 etc. I'm not on any kind of diet I just went out for a meal and chose that as I would've before that lol

Jlewis

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was unaware that you had been diagnosed as T2 but are they investigating the possibility that you may be T1? That will change the appropriate advice for you. You need the firm diagnosis because the dietary/excercise advice can be very different.
I haven't been diagnosed as type 2.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I'm saying 3s as in 3.0 but normally high 3 about 3.9 or 8 etc. I'm not on any kind of diet I just went out for a meal and chose that as I would've before that lol

Thanks for clarifying.

When your team says early diabetes, are they talking about LADA, as opposed to T2? I wonder what on earth sent you to 30? Had you been otherwise unwell or anything?