Christmas lunch - sorry know its only September!

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I'm very new to low carb eating, trying to stick to a moderate daily intake of <80g CHO to start with as I'm T1 and a bit wary. Anyhow this will be my first Christmas since diagnosis and I wonder if there are any good LC recipes and/or products out there for a traditional Christmas lunch please? I'm particularly fond of bread sauce, mince pies and Christmas pud lol!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @col101 . Personally I'd have a day off from low carb.
I don't let diabetes take priority over life.
I appreciate it's not advice you want but it is Christmas and it's only once a year. Either way Merry Christmas if I forget nearer the day.:):)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a search for 'christmas' and 'xmas' in the thread search box.

We had some brilliant threads, recipes, links and suggestions last year, from cranberry sauce, to lc mince pies.

Rest assured, you can have a fabulously decadent lc xmas! :)

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Just prior to my first Christmas, my DN told me to enjoy a normal lunch as it's only one day in the year (as therower says)

I did however remain a little cautious and reduced the roasties and stuffing and upped the turkey/chicken and veggies.

I opted for Christmas pud and brandy butter and dumped the mince pies.

I didn't feel deprived at all, in fact I felt better than most of my family later on, as I wasn't over stuffed !!!

lynn007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
animal abuse
I love roasties best part of the dinner I don't eat meat I love my veggies but on Christmas I will be having my roasties that is the one day I will treat myself.

S

Shar67

We have Indian food on Christmas Day, a mix of vegetarian and meat for those who eat it.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Christmas is one of those days when you can ease off the diet.

One thing I've noticed in the past is that if I bolus for the carbs in a shop bought mince pie, I'll go hypo. I halved the carbs given on the pack and it worked for me. However, I've recently been diagnosed with coeliac disease, so things could change drastically this year.

Enjoy your first Christmas as a diabetic. Don't get too wound up about your low carb diet, just celebrate and enjoy yourself. Remember to test, before and 2 hours after eating, looking out for highs and lows.

A very early Happy Christmas to you!