Chronic pain

Geminigirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicy food
Hi all, apologies now as this is a long post! At the end of my tether.

I have Fibromyalgia, Chronic pain syndrome and persistent Sciatica.

I am having regular Physio but am really struggling to cope at the moment with the pain levels especially the Buttock, Leg and Foot pain.

My GP said I may have a compressed disc but won't send me for an x-ray, scan etc. My Physio thinks I have Pformis muscle problems in Buttock which causes the Sciatic nerve to be compressed, not a compressed disc. I'm confused! I'm not sleeping at night.

Anyway, after nagging from the Physio my GP has referred me to the Fibro clinic at hospital but it's a 6 month wait. Then you have to do 2 on-line info sessions before you get anywhere near seeing someone face to face.

I feel as though because I'm retired they're not bothered. I have full use of legs and don't have any of the warning signs of Sciatica such as numbness of bottom or dropped foot.

Pain relief wise I can't take any anti- inflammatories of any type as I have a blood clotting issue so am on a Blood thinner. I regularly have high strength Co-Codamol on script but they don't work for this nerve pain.

I use a Tens machine, cold and hot therapy, relaxation etc but am seriously beginning to feel helpless. All my "coping mechanisms are failing me"

GP tried Duloxetine (made me rage!), Amitryptiline (gave me palpatations), Can't try Gabapentin as it clashes with other medications, finally latest disaster is Lyrica which gave me head rushes. I felt extremely ill so I guess those types of drugs don't suit me, or they're a bad mix with my numerous meds.

He won't try Stronger pain relief as he says Opioids are useless for nerve pain and agrees to very occasional Diazepam but obviously it's addictive and strictly monitored.

As for my Diabetes I'm doing really well but I'm feeling so low and sad, going out depresses me as I'm unable to walk and I feel a burden on my hubby. Even our lovely holiday in June is worrying me to death as to how I'll cope.

I'm 65 and considering getting a small, car friendly fold up mobility scooter so at least I can get out for air and for my mental health. I live in a second floor apartment and have no garden. The Physio says it's a bad idea, (use it or lose it) and has set me a walking programme which I'm doing but I can't go far and the pain is bad. I thought it would enable me and hubby yo have long walks, he is 75 but very fit.

Sorry to moan but does anyone else have similar problems who can offer advice?

Should I persist either pushing for definitive diagnosis regarding the disc?

Thanks for listening.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My sympathy. I had a bad bout of sciatica couple of years ago. Was more painful and more lasting than either passing kidney stones or giving birth ( and I've done those both twice!)
The only thing that helped me were certain stretches. Google figure4 stretch and pigeon stretch.
Try them several times a day. Relief may not be instant but works in the end.
Can do the figure 4 seated, even while watching TV. I still do it these days whenever I get a twitch from my sciatic nerve.

I had about 3 weeks of unable to walk, 3 weeks very bad pain then it started easing. About 9 weeks total. Fingers crossed yours is quicker

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Geminigirl

A hug for the pain, how awful.

Was going to say amitriptyline, before I read it's impact on you.

Had an horrendous RTA, least of my injuries was a broken shoulder blade, but it gave me the most excruciating pain.

The amitriptyline sorted it immediately.
I was told it's major benefit was for nerve pain.

Shame it's not suitable for you.

As for the scooter, use it or lose it makes some sense

But you still have to live & manage life as it is, right now.

I'm stubborn, and used whatever I could to get around on when I couldn't really walk....

So I might have a different viewpoint to many.

But I'd say if you can afford it, get the scooter for exactly the reasons you give.

I didn't realise how quickly the lack of mobility would make me so dependent on others or how lonely that could be.

Lovely as everyone was, their daily life moved on without me, (as I expect it should) but I felt left behind ...if that makes sense.

I'm a lot more mobile now
2 ¹/² years later, thank god .

But I well remember the loneliness .

I say if you can, get the scooter.

Enjoy the moments sharing with your husband.

That time isn't something anyone guarantees, so grab it with both hands

Do the exercise as @MrsA2 helpfully suggests
Add in walking where possible outside of those times.

And if the holidays causing concerns, you could try to see if it's possible to take a folding mobility scooter with your luggage (no idea if that's even possible, but prams etc go in hold, so maybe )

Failing that, see if anywhere near where you are going hires out scooters.
I'd imagine they deliver to hotels or apartments ?

I know we went to turunc in turkey & they were readily available for hire...some had two seats.

Missus went to Spain & they were rentable there too

Be such a shame if the worry spoiled such a special & enjoyable time away.

Do, if you haven't ask for special assistance at the airport....made our trips more relaxed.

Best wishes for a lovely trip.
( God don't we need that break)

And i hope your surgery/ medical teams come up with an alternative choice of meds that work or get you seen at fibro clinic, asap.

Last edited:

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
I go to a Chiropractor on a regular basis. Although I have spine and knee issues just recently I had groin, back and muscle issues. It just took a couple of extra treatments to get it right. Now just go for a normal every month to two months.
Worth it I can assure you.

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also sympathise I have spinal stenosis and 3 prolapsed discs confirmed my MRI. I’m baffled they give you an MRI that’s so sad. I totally agree that the pain is worse than childbirth! I’ve found a brilliant physio on YouTube and his exercises have really helped! He has a few for pformis and sciatic pain. I’ll go and copy the link…….

• Useful
Reactions: jjraak