Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Good afternoon, all. I need help making sense of the numbers in my test results, please. Firstly, which number should I pay attention to and secondly, is the drop in my numbers good, bad or ugly?

Hba1c

13 May
DCCT-% 15.1
IFF mol/mol 98
mmol/L 15.1

21 June
DCCT-% 8.8
IFF mmol/mol 73
mmol/L 11.5

Thanks in advance, folks.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
DCCT-% 8.8 - that's your hba1c according to diabetes control and complications study units. The target is to have it >6.5%.
IFF mmol/mol 73 - that's your hba1c according to international federation of clinical chemistry units. The target is to have it under 48
mmol/L 11.5 - that's your blood sugar

A hba1c of 78 equates to an average blood sugar of 11.5.

While the reduction in your levels from 98 is good, they still seem rather high and there's some way to go.

The DCCT and the IFCC figures are the same thing, they are just telling you your hba1c in different formats.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After only one month that's not a bad reduction in HbA1c. That test looks at your average blood sugar levels over the last 2-3 months which is why we usually only have it every 3-6 months. So depending on how quick your blood turnover is your test levels may have 1-2 months of the older higher level in the figure. What is does show is that whatever you are doing is having a positive effect on your blood sugar so.... keep it up!
Well done

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
DCCT-% 8.8 - that's your hba1c according to diabetes control and complications study units. The target is to have it >6.5%.
IFF mmol/mol 73 - that's your hba1c according to international federation of clinical chemistry units. The target is to have it under 48
mmol/L 11.5 - that's your blood sugar

A hba1c of 78 equates to an average blood sugar of 11.5.

While the reduction in your levels from 98 is good, they still seem rather high and there's some way to go.

The DCCT and the IFCC figures are the same thing, they are just telling you your hba1c in different formats.
@catapillar. Thanks lass much appreciated.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
After only one month that's not a bad reduction in HbA1c. That test looks at your average blood sugar levels over the last 2-3 months which is why we usually only have it every 3-6 months. So depending on how quick your blood turnover is your test levels may have 1-2 months of the older higher level in the figure. What is does show is that whatever you are doing is having a positive effect on your blood sugar so.... keep it up!
Well done
@bulkbiker Thank you. Without the advice and common sense from members here I think I would still be having results in the 90s so a big fat thank you to you all.