Closed Loop System

kdg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

I am curious to hear if anyone is using a closed loop system? I'm looking to go onto a pump and trial this myself eventually? The stability of the overnight bloods look great.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve been using a closed loop system (Medtronic 780g & Guardian 3/4) since December 2021. I was actually part of the NHS Trial for the closed loop system (https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_us/news/closed-loop-systems). Before using it I was on another Medtronic insulin pump and used a Freestyle Libre 2. My HbA1c was 78/9.3% before starting the trial. Around 6 months into the trial it had dropped to 42/6% and my most recent test in April came out at 40/5.8%. I have no doubt my next test which is at the end of the month will be similar.

For me the systems have been absolutely life changing. I suffered quite badly with diabetes burnout hence the not so good blood sugars beforehand. Closed loop just takes the stress away from having to micro manage everything as besides carb counting everything is done for you. I couldn’t imagine my life without having a closed loop system and I’m very lucky that I still get it funded, it’s something I would recommend to everybody if they can get access to it. Generally I’m in range now 85% of the time with only 1-2% of the time being low or above 14mmol.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @kdgnutrition I am a Tandem Slim and Dexcom G6 user - personally the sleep was the biggest win for me in using the Tandem Slim as I get a flat stable line during the night now which was a massive benefit for me as sleep is vital. There's alot of work that goes into using the system, so adjustments to ratios to fine tune, the ability to pick up on where tweaks need to be made, they aren't infallible and exercise has been challenging as I struggle with hypos when exercising in the evening, takes alot of work to successfully work out or run without going low, I use mine with a tubed cannula set so have to be careful not to catch it, and set changes can be faff as well as charging as you have to disconnect, but all that aside they are incredible tools.

Reactions: oldgreymare

kdg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, yea the stable bloods overnight be the main aim for me. I tend to keep tight control on MDI around 80%/85% TIR but feel like it would help a lot with the micro managing too.