Coke Zero - Feeling Rough

Meady74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tablets
Hi, trying to pin down why my blood sugars are going high, for me that's 14 + mmol/L and above. I feel soo rough now

I've had 2 cans of coke zero one at lunch and one this evening, not had anything else knowingly that would push it up and round normally have squash so can only think it's the coke zero but it says there's no sugar in it so what am I missing?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people react to some sweeteners. Most are focused on a lack of calories rather than a zero blood glucose reaction. Take note of which sweetener is in it and look out for it in future, checking your response and avoiding it if need be.

particularly relevant for powdered or tablet sweetener is what bulking agents they use too, many use maltodextrin or dextrose which often raises blood glucose. Some “low carb” sweetener like maltitol commonly does likewise as well as causing gastric distress in lots of people.

Safest ones are usually stevia, monkfruit and erythritol. Theses are classed as natural. Then there are the artificial ones which everyone has their own opinions on.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, trying to pin down why my blood sugars are going high, for me that's 14 + mmol/L and above. I feel soo rough now

I've had 2 cans of coke zero one at lunch and one this evening, not had anything else knowingly that would push it up and round normally have squash so can only think it's the coke zero but it says there's no sugar in it so what am I missing?
What else have you eaten/drunk or done? How do you normal manage your diabetes and what’s a normal level for you?

Reactions: EllieM

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any chance you are coming down with an infection of some sort?

alangdunbar

You would be best to avoid Diet Drinks especially those that claim to be Zero. Your body can get tricked and your liver ends up releasing more Glycogen which turns into sugar in the blood. If you aren't having much else to eat, like fats/proteins, you are unintentionally causing your spikes .

Try going for herbal tea's, sparkling water with lemon or lime or plain mineral water as a refresher

Meady74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tablets
Had my usual. I do a fasting blood test in the morning before breakfast and this is usually around 7-8 mmol/L. Cornflakes with semi-skimmed and a glass of water. Lunch normally involves a sandwich, packet of crisps fruit such as grapes or carrot and something like a skinny bar. 4-5 coffees during the day. Tea time varies.

Medication wise, 2000g metformin (slow release) 2mg of glimepiride

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
Your body can get tricked and your liver ends up releasing more Glycogen which turns into sugar in the blood.
Wow, I didn’t know that. I’ve just naturally kept away from ZERO-type drinks and gone with either water or Peligrino and squeeze of lemon.

Meady74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tablets
You would be best to avoid Diet Drinks especially those that claim to be Zero. Your body can get tricked and your liver ends up releasing more Glycogen which turns into sugar in the blood. If you aren't having much else to eat, like fats/proteins, you are unintentionally causing your spikes .

Try going for herbal tea's, sparkling water with lemon or lime or plain mineral water as a refresher
This is what I'm thinking and sounds plausible

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Meady74, have you posted your diabetic history somewhere? Have a look at mine :).

Meady74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tablets
@Meady74, have you posted your diabetic history somewhere? Have a look at mine :).
Don't think so. Will have a look. Just getting so fed up with food, thinking I'm eating ok-ish and then feel like utter pants and just wanting to curl up in a ball

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had my usual. I do a fasting blood test in the morning before breakfast and this is usually around 7-8 mmol/L. Cornflakes with semi-skimmed and a glass of water. Lunch normally involves a sandwich, packet of crisps fruit such as grapes or carrot and something like a skinny bar. 4-5 coffees during the day. Tea time varies.

Corn Flakes = carbs
Sandwich = carbs
Crisps = carbs
Fruit = carbs
Maybe Coke Zero isn't the problem?

Reactions: Debmcgee

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just getting so fed up with food, thinking I'm eating ok-ish and then feel like utter pants and just wanting to curl up in a ball
I understand. There are many many here who have pangs for certain foods, mine are Carbs: Pasta, Porridge, Cornflakes etc. When you say “pants”, is that physically or emotionally? Mine is mostly emotional and self generated “received-guilt”, if that’s such a term? Anyways, I’ve named carbs CARBOSTIENS, as in the Frankenstein. I find visualising the enemy helps me.... yeah, I’m weird :) .

Reactions: HSSS

Meady74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tablets
Corn Flakes = carbs
Sandwich = carbs
Crisps = carbs
Fruit = carbs
Maybe Coke Zero isn't the problem?
You could well be right although I'd add that's quite usual for me, the coke zero isn't. So maybe that's just tipped it over on top of the other?

Meady74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tablets
I understand. There are many many here who have pangs for certain foods, mine are Carbs: Pasta, Porridge, Cornflakes etc. When you say “pants”, is that physically or emotionally? Mine is mostly emotional and self generated “received-guilt”, if that’s such a term? Anyways, I’ve named carbs CARBOSTIENS, as in the Frankenstein. I find visualising the enemy helps me.... yeah, I’m weird :) .
Both. Emotionally, couldn't care if the world ended tomorrow, I can be awful to live with. Physically, fell like I've got the worst ever hangover and that my eyes are being pushed put and in at the same time.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You’ve received some professional medical attention? Have you? Reading what you’ve posted, you’ve not received any advise or instructions regarding your diet? Have you not?

Meady74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tablets
You’ve received some professional medical attention? Have you? Reading what you’ve posted, you’ve not received any advise or instructions regarding your diet? Have you not?
Had that NHS diet course, well about 2 hours in a group session which to be honest is not enough and, not really good enough. That was about 4 years ago.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That was about 4 years ago.
Sure, I understand.

So who is medicating you and where are you getting the testing equipment? Where’s your GP amongst all this? Have you had an HBA1C blood test? I’m really glad you’ve come to this Forum. You’ll get both support and information.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cornflakes with semi-skimmed

Cornflakes are about 80% carbs, pure rocket fuel for diabetics.
Full fat milk would be better as it's lower carb & the fats slow down digestion.

Lunch normally involves a sandwich, packet of crisps fruit such as grapes or carrot and something like a skinny bar.

A slice of bread has about 15g of carbs.
Pack of crisps could be 12-20g.
Grapes are very carby, depending on amount could be talking 30+g carbs.
Skinny bar . . . don't like the sound of that.
You could have put back 100gs of carbs in that lunch.

Tea time varies.
Hmmmm . . . I don't think the Coke Zeros are your problem.
Everything you learned on that NHS course should be considered dangerous nonsense.
Embrace low carb & I've a funny feeling your life could be turned around.

Reactions: Debmcgee

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Everything you learned on that NHS course should be considered dangerous nonsense.
Oh yes! I went to two. The first one I was naive. The second one I was in Guerrilla-mode. Oh yes. :bored: