Colds and Type 1 diabetes

Nomi

hey guys,
Just a quick question - i've not been feeling too great recently coming down with a cold and stuff and my sugar levels have gone mad! They started off going higher than normal, i can cope with that, just corrected my levels next time i tested. But now i just seem to be going low all the time? is that a normal side effect of being ill? i am taking less insulin now than what i usually take with meals, but sometimes still go low at times?
I was diagnosed diabetic in july 2007 and have experienced the whole honeymooning thing, but haven't had any issues really for quite a while now. could it just be honeymooning again?

any advice would be great!!!

cheers
Nomi

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Nomi
Sounds unusual, but viruses are funny things. Some raise blood pressure but some reduce it, or make you more sensitive to medication, so I guess this could apply to blood sugar as well. Other suggestions are maybe be your cold is now clearing up and you don't need the extra insulin any more. Or are you off your food? Or eating higher GI foods (or substituting with lucozade etc) which tend to cause fast spike followed by rapid drop? I find my dose changes with my monthly cycle, its easy to forget that when you're ill, maybe this is playing a part too?