Coming off metformin?

Disneyfan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed last May with fasting blood sugar of 17 and an hba1c of over 100. I was 16 stone. Low carbed since then, last hba1c was 36 (5.4 in old money) back in October. At that point I'd lost 4 stone. Went to drs yesterday with stomach probs (IBS exacerbated by 1500 mg metformin). He told me to stop taking it, I'm now down to 10 stone 7lbs approx. said I don't needd it and someone at my weight should be able to control it by Diet alone. I'm a bit scared, he said they'll do an hba1c in 3 months but he was confident I'd be ok. Any thoughts?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I think you will find that the diet has been the biggest contributor to your weight and sugar level loss. Metformin only helps by around 1-2% max in old money. So, I wouldn't worry about stopping the Met and just continuing with the good diet; well done.

Disneyfan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the well done! Dr was lovely (first time I'd seen this gp) and prescribed me strips so I could feel in control (nurse had just said don't test you don't need to). Hopefully I can keep it up, costing me a fortune though, this time last year I was a size 22, now I'm a 14, have to keep buying clothes!

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I was on 2 x 750mg SR Metformin and 1 x pioglitazone a day until I started low carbing. When I last saw my usual DSN in Dec she had already taken away the pioglitazone 3 months before but the also wanted to stop the metformin totally as my hba1c was 6.3%. I didnt want to stop totally so we compromised and 1 went down to just one metformin a day.

I have now gone from size 24/26 to 20. Im hoping to lose alot more weight and would like an hba1c in the 5's. I think my DSN will be ok with that. Maybe one day not too far away I can stop the medication altogether, but not just yet.

Thank you for being an inspiration and helping to keep me motivated!

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diet and exercise are very good strategies, but doctors tend to doubt the determination of the patient. They've seen the good intentions go to waste many times before. But, for someone willing, as you see, it works. Keep it up!

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yorksman said:
Diet and exercise are very good strategies, but doctors tend to doubt the determination of the patient. They've seen the good intentions go to waste many times before. But, for someone willing, as you see, it works. Keep it up!
Sound advice.I couldn't agree more.

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Well done disney
You might well find you can manage. just keep monitoring
I'm so envious. I have had so much trouble with my weight and even low carbing isn't working although my Hba1c is fair 40/5.8%
Hana

Disneyfan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all. I'm just terrified, feel back to square one i.e. scared to eat!! Typically I'm out of strips, I'll be better tomorrow when I've got some more and I feel more in control.

Susiebabs

Hi Disney Fan,

Im in the middle of this same process. I've lost 74lbs in weight and am now taking half the metformin I was on before and if my next set of tests in the middle of April are good then I'll hopefully be off the rest and the sitagliptin! It is a bit nerve wracking when your numbers have been good and you want to keep them that way - so I totally understand your worries.

I'm on a mission this year to reduce my medication for everything as much as possible. So far I'm off 6 of the 10 tablets I was on and it feels like a burst of freedom to be honest.

I hope coming off is really easy and successful for you! :D

meJulie

Hi Disneyfan

Congratulations, you must be ecstatic, you have really inspired me to carry on low carbing started only a week ago, a bit difficult but managing so far and have already lost weight, I have 3+ stone to loose, do you have any tips on low carbing? How many carbs a day did you have? would love to know to keep me going. Thanks :)

Susiebabs

I actually lost a lot on a normal 'low fat / moderate carbs' diet but couldn't get my numbers to drop below the 7s despite the weight coming off. Switched to low carb just after Christmas and my numbers have slowly but surely improved and the weight loss continues though in a different pattern - I now tend to stay the same for a few weeks then drop quite a bit then plateaux again.

The hardest thing has been stopping counting everything and learning to relax. I now only roughly count carbs and only weigh once a week. I make sure I'm eating good unprocessed food, that I love the taste of, and learning to listen to my body about when its hungry rather than eating because its a 'mealtime' and stopping when I've had enough (which is the hardest signal for me to learn and start trusting!).

I eat around 30-50g of carbs a day (normally about 30 rather than the top end). Eating high fat has made a real difference to how much food it takes to make me feel full too - and took a whole month of research to get my head round switching from low fat items.

Best thing to do is a bit of planning, envision how you might start to eat and shop accordingly. Be kind to yourself and take the first wee while as a breaking in period where you'll live and learn as you work out what works for your body. The beauty and the irritation of both diabetes and weight loss is that we're all different and our bodies work uniquely for us.

Best of luck! :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

meJulie

Hi Susie

Thanks so much for your reply, dont often get one on here, I think 30/50 grams sounds quite low, and also I think I will struggle with the high fat after years of diets on low fat. I am already fed up of eggs for breakfast, been having a 2 egg mushroom omellette for breakfast, salad with fish or meat or cottage cheese for dinner then meat/fish and veg for tea. Its been ok but a bit bored with it and missing my porridge for breakfast and some fruits. What do you think I could do to improve or manage it better? Thanks. :)

Disneyfan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to say I haven't been low low carbing, but I do watch what I eat quite carefully. I reckon I'm averaging 100g a day. I've been checking my Levels the last couple of days so best readings 4.7 (today begore tea) worst was 7.0 an hour after my tea last night which was mums homemade BBQ chicken, new potatoes (3), peas, and a third of a pack of chocolate angel delight with a third of a banana - so overall I'm quite happy with the readings, 4 days without metformin and I'm still alive!!

maggy

I have now stopped taking metformin this is my second attempt in the last four weeks .
It caused me severe cramps in my tummy and this second time severe bowel intestinal pain .

As my gp is away and the nearest appointment 22nd March I have decided not to take any more until then,

I am doing fine low carbing and am losing weight due to this in spite of the derisory comments I get from the diabetic nurse at my surgery and I am looking forward to my next revue in five weeks by then will hopefully be the best part of 2 stone loss.

Disneyfan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just an update ... worried about coming off the metformin, had my 3 months off hba1c results today ... 31 ... even better than last time when I was on the tablets. feeling quite pleased with myself :D

RobinLondon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Disneyfan said:
Just an update ... worried about coming off the metformin, had my 3 months off hba1c results today ... 31 ... even better than last time when I was on the tablets. feeling quite pleased with myself :D

That's great news and very encouraging; Well done!

Sent from my brain.