Type 1 Conception

Naomisefton

I have been a type 1 diabetic for 20 years now. I am planning on starting a family and have been attending the pre conception clinic. At the min my hba1c is 7.5, I have changed my diet to low carb and inject 15 mins before eating. My blood sugars can reach as high as 19.0 an hour after a meal, I'm looking for suggestions on how to improve this. Thank you.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been a type 1 diabetic for 20 years now. I am planning on starting a family and have been attending the pre conception clinic. At the min my hba1c is 7.5, I have changed my diet to low carb and inject 15 mins before eating. My blood sugars can reach as high as 19.0 an hour after a meal, I'm looking for suggestions on how to improve this. Thank you.

Hello, welcome! Have you seen a dietitian yet to get some knowledge on carb counting? Even with low carb, we still need to inject and fats and protein do affect our blood sugars.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
How confident are you that your insulin ratios and basal amounts are correct? (Or are you on a pump?)

Also, I know that there are different kinds of short acting insulin. Some act faster than others. I'd be keeping some careful food and blood sugar diaries to try to work out what is going on....

Naomisefton

How confident are you that your insulin ratios and basal amounts are correct? (Or are you on a pump?)

Also, I know that there are different kinds of short acting insulin. Some act faster than others. I'd be keeping some careful food and blood sugar diaries to try to work out what is going on....

I'm confident that my ratios are fine, my sugars are always in range within four hours after a meal. I am currently injecting novorapid and levemir.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
Has your clinic given you a libre/cgm?

Otherwise, my thoughts would be
1) talk to your clinic about whether a faster acting insulin would be better (Fiasp???)
2) Prebolus earlier
3) Talk to your dietitian about what you can eat to slow the blood sugar rise.... He/she may be able to make suggestions if you show them your food diary.

If you're already on the libre, and the 18s are from that, double check with a meter. The libre can be very inaccurate for some people.

Good luck.