Concerned over type.

Fuzzykayuk

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been an apparent T2 for 13 years. I’ve had no test to ever determine this. I was type 2 because I don’t lose weight easily. That was it. At 20, I wasn’t going to argue. I wasn’t aware etc.

From diagnosis I was put on insulin due to my age and the concern over T1. Which was later dismissed although still on insulin.

I finally had a c-peptide done this week with the results being 36.6. Diabetic team immediately called me and said I hadn’t eaten enough prior to the test and needed to eat more. I need to make sure I eat 30 mins prior and need to be a good amount. they've redone a blood form for me.

I’m a bit concerned they’re trying to majorly fix the results.

Has anyone else been through this? Should I be concerned? Or is this normal. Others have said I need to be really careful because this isn’t normal behaviour.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Fuzzykayuk , welcome to the forum.

Do you know what units your C-peptide was measured in?

For a C-peptide test it's recommended your blood glucose is on the higher side (at least over 8 is what I was told, not sure if that's standard recommendation though) at the moment of the blood draw.

• Agree
Reactions: ert

Fuzzykayuk

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin

For a C-peptide test it's recommended your blood glucose is on the higher side (at least over 8 is what I was told, not sure if that's standard recommendation though) at the moment of the blood draw.

Thankyou for the warm welcome.

Apologies but I do not. I was only given that number but told it was too low. I can barely get my numbers over 8 now. I don’t think they’ve been over 8 for at least a few months.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I can barely get my numbers over 8 now. I don’t think they’ve been over 8 for at least a few months.
How do you decide on insulin dosing? Do you carb count and adjust your mealtime insulin according to this?

Fuzzykayuk

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I do carb count. It’s rare I’ll need to adjust. I have one carb based meal a day as I’m on low carb.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I have been an apparent T2 for 13 years. I’ve had no test to ever determine this. I was type 2 because I don’t lose weight easily. That was it. At 20, I wasn’t going to argue. I wasn’t aware etc.

From diagnosis I was put on insulin due to my age and the concern over T1. Which was later dismissed although still on insulin.

I finally had a c-peptide done this week with the results being 36.6. Diabetic team immediately called me and said I hadn’t eaten enough prior to the test and needed to eat more. I need to make sure I eat 30 mins prior and need to be a good amount. they've redone a blood form for me.

Has anyone else been through this? Should I be concerned? Or is this normal. Others have said I need to be really careful because this isn’t normal behaviour.
Welcome. If you are type 1, the c-peptide test should confirm it. I had to drink a bottle of lucozade type sugar syrup liquid before my test. They need to see your body's insulin response to glucose. The test will not necessarily be conclusive if you are fasting or have not eaten enough prior to the test. What were the units for the test?

sgm14

Why would they want to do that?

I think you should also start by assuming good faith and I don't see anything you have said that would cause me to doubt that.

I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that normally you are told to fast and stop medication before the test. If your c-peptide levels are low and your blood glucose levels are high, then this suggests you are Type 1. If your c-peptide levels are high and your blood glucose levels are high, then this implies you are Type 2.

So what happens if your blood glucose levels are not high. In that case the test is inconclusive, so they try another way which is to try to force your blood glucose levels up, either by injecting you with Glucagon or by getting you to take a lot of carbs. Then they repeat the test.

Sounds normal behaviour to me.

Fuzzykayuk

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my c-peptide result back 351pmol.

As the cut off is 350pmol I’m
Definitely a T2 and refused to ever do the test again. It’s not right. In my gut I know it’s not correct.

I had to take insulin as normal and eat as I said previously.

Fuzzykayuk

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin

I’ve now found out it pmol/L
:)

Reactions: Antje77