Confused and bewildered

Heblady

:roll: I have levels running at ( on 12 week checks) at 7.5- 8..is this hgh :?
I am sad to say I am not accepting this diabetes very well at all.
I am on my 3rd lot of meds ( started today)
I went on glizicde ( sp) at first last February ,,I kept taking really funny turns ( took one in Docs office) was taken off this for 3 months and my levels were as above.
Then they decided I had to take metformin ( 3 a day)..I tried, got so sick if I took more than one ( much trying on my part over an 8 week period)
Now I have been given 850g metformin ( one tab only in morning)
My body does not accept drugs well..Has anyone else had problems adjusting to meds???

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the Forum.

Many people find difficulty adjusting to Diabetic drugs. However persevere with the MetforminSR for a week or two and see how you get on as these drugs will help to lower your blood sugar levels.

Although you are not newly diagnosed see if any of the information below which Ken and I post is of help to you.

Here is the advice we usually give to newly diagnosed Diabetics. We hope that these few ideas gained through experience help you to gain control and give you some understanding of Diabetes. This forum doesn't always follow the recommended dietary advice, you have to work out what works for you as we are all different.

It's not just 'sugars' you need to avoid, Diabetes is an inability to process glucose properly. Carbohydrate converts, in the body, to glucose. So it makes sense to reduce the amount of carbohydrate that you eat which includes sugars.

The main carbs to avoid OR reduce are the complex or starchy Carbohydrates such as bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, starchy root veg and also any flour based products. The starchy carbs all convert 100% to glucose in the body and raise the blood sugar levels significantly.

If you are on Insulin you may find that reducing the carb intake also means that you can reduce your dose of Insulin. This can help you to keep weight gain down as Insulin tends to make you put on weight and eventually cause Insulin resistance. This should be done slowly so as not to cause hypos.

The way to find out how different foods affect you is to do regular daily testing and keep a food diary for a couple of weeks. If you test just before eating, then two hours after eating, you will see the effect of certain foods on your blood glucose levels. Some foods, which are slow acting Carbohydrates, are absorbed more slowly so you may need to test three or even four hours later to see the effect that these have on your blood glucose levels.

Buy yourself a carb counter book (you can get these on-line) and you will be able to work out how much carbs you are eating, when you test, the reading two hours after should be roughly the same as the before eating reading, if it is then that meal was fine, if it isn’t then you need to check what you have eaten and think about reducing the portion size of carbs.

When you are buying products check the total Carbohydrate content, this includes the sugar content. Do not just go by the amount of sugar on the packaging as this is misleading to a Diabetic.

As for a tester, try asking the Nurse/Doctor and explain that you want to be proactive in managing your own Diabetes and therefore need to test so that you can see just how foods affect your blood sugar levels. Hopefully this will work! Sometimes they are not keen to give Type 2’s the strips on prescription, (in the UK) but you can but try !!

If you are an Insulin user in theory you should have no problem getting test strips.

The latest 2010 NICE guidelines for Bg levels are as follows:
Fasting (waking).......between 4 - 7 mmol/l........(Type 1 & 2)
2 hrs after meals......no more than 8.5 mmol/l.....( Type 2)

2hrs after meals....... no more than 9 mmol/l ......(Type 1)

If you are able to keep the post meal numbers lower, so much the better.

It also helps if you can do 30 minutes moderate exercise a day. It doesn't have to be strenuous.

The above is just general advice and it is recommended that you discuss with your HCP before making any changes. You can also ask questions on the forum on anything that is not clear.

Sue/Ken.

Heblady

Thanks BUT my Doc says I dont need a meter ??
Where can I buy one?
I feel this is the way to go
I have bought a Diabetic cook book and TRY to use it some of the time.
I walk a lot..I think I am reasonably fit .
We ( where I live) have no support group..My husband doesnt understand any of this..his attitude is.."you are fine" I am not fine..I am scared, and confused and half the time I convince myself that I dont have the darn thing :oops:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Heblady said:
Thanks BUT my Doc says I dont need a meter ??
Where can I buy one?
I feel this is the way to go
I have bought a Diabetic cook book and TRY to use it some of the time.
I walk a lot..I think I am reasonably fit .
We ( where I live) have no support group..My husband doesnt understand any of this..his attitude is.."you are fine" I am not fine..I am scared, and confused and half the time I convince myself that I dont have the darn thing :oops:

The Doc might say you don't need one.........we beg to differ.

The only way you are ever going to find out if your diet is a good one is by testing. The HbA1c test is just an average and only a trend indicator. You need to know what is happening each day as in the advice that Sue posted, at least for a while until you know exactly what is happening.

As for Diabetic anything.......quite often the recipes are high in carbohydrates which will elevate blood glucose levels. Avoid them for now until you know more about the metabolism of carbohydrates and the relationship to Glucose levels.

This Forum should now be your support group. You ask questions ........we give answers. YOU then have to decide if you like the answers or not.......choices. Something the medical profession seem loathe to give us at times.

Yes.....it is confusing. Each and every one of us has been there, had to learn and sometimes learn again. The information you will get from members here is from experience, not governed by costs or lack of understanding. We just want to help YOU become a well controlled Diabetic.

Nothing more. :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Dislikes
Modern so called singers like Cheryl Cole and rubbish boy bands
Really show my age!
Ask if your Heath authority run a DESMOND course which is all about coping with diabetes.
Talking to others helps