Confused and Irritated

jimmysmith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, currently feeling confused and irritated at the moment. So this past week I've worked out that my adjustment ratio for my morning injection of novorapid is different from the rest of the day (atm, still working everything out really). I've worked out that my ratio in the morning is 1 unit to bring me down 1 point. This has worked everyday this week, keep on waking up high due to Dawn Rising. However, today has not gone as planned. Work up around 23 so took an adjustment injection of 16 with the aim to bring me to 7. It's not worked and I have plummeted down to 2.7. Any ideas why? Not done anything different from what I've done any other day.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
So, currently feeling confused and irritated at the moment. So this past week I've worked out that my adjustment ratio for my morning injection of novorapid is different from the rest of the day (atm, still working everything out really). I've worked out that my ratio in the morning is 1 unit to bring me down 1 point. This has worked everyday this week, keep on waking up high due to Dawn Rising. However, today has not gone as planned. Work up around 23 so took an adjustment injection of 16 with the aim to bring me to 7. It's not worked and I have plummeted down to 2.7. Any ideas why? Not done anything different from what I've done any other day.

Hi @jimmysmith ,

If you are relatively new to this then you may still be producing some of your own insulin and the production of it could be sporadic. This is often referred to as the Honeymoon Period. It can come at times when you don't expect it and mean that you have extra insulin flowing around inside you. (Did you eat anything that might trigger insulin production?)

If this is the reason (and it may not be), it can last a few weeks and in a few cases up to a year or more. I'm afraid we always need to watch out for the odd curveball - even when you've been doing it a while.

Temperature may have an effect also - as when we are warm, our bodies generally absorb insulin more efficiently. Is there any chance you did things in a different order - like injecting straight after a shower/bath?

D

Deleted Account

I wish the relationship between insulin and BG was a simple one and all that mattered was how many carbs you eat.
Unfortunately, there are many things which impact BG. You have already worked out that time of days makes a difference. So does illness, stress, exercise, weather, ...

So, what seem perfect one day feels completely wrong the next day.
For me, exercise has the biggest impact and it could last for up to 3 days. As a result, I usually reduce my basal insulin for 2 days after exercise.

I tend to run my BG relatively low (around 5.0) but this does mean I am more liable to hypo. I have been advised to either increase my target or to slightly under dose and correct after a few hours ... but be aware of any remaining insulin in your body up to 4 hours later.

jimmysmith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @jimmysmith ,

If you are relatively new to this then you may still be producing some of your own insulin and the production of it could be sporadic. This is often referred to as the Honeymoon Period. It can come at times when you don't expect it and mean that you have extra insulin flowing around inside you. (Did you eat anything that might trigger insulin production?)

If this is the reason (and it may not be), it can last a few weeks and in a few cases up to a year or more. I'm afraid we always need to watch out for the odd curveball - even when you've been doing it a while.

Temperature may have an effect also - as when we are warm, our bodies generally absorb insulin more efficiently. Is there any chance you did things in a different order - like injecting straight after a shower/bath?
Not new to this. Been diabetic for over a decade now.
And did nothing different that I can think of. I didn't have breakfast but there was a day during the week when I didn't have breakfast and still did a correction with no ill effects

leahkian

I have found that sometimes you can do what you have been told to do and you get 2 different results. Every time we change seasons my BS goes all over the place for a week and then goes back to normal and this has happened for 36 years and no doctor can work it out. That's the thing with diabetes everyday is different and we are all different too. The thing that i would do is keep a record of your BS and see if it happens again, then you may find something that was slightly different to the other days. I am sure that most of us have had hypos that we cannot explain and this might just be one of those times. So keep well and hope it is a one off

Reactions: miszu