HelenMW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spiders, peas and most of all diabetes!
Hi everyone,
I feel like I'm always asking questions on here but I'm trying to get my head round it all and you guys give such brilliant advice. I'm currently a bit confused about my bg results. I've been testing morning and night for a while but then decided to follow the advice on here and test immediately before every meal and again 2 hours after. I've been doing this for 4 days and every time my result has not gone up by much at all. Usually goes up by about 0.2 but has actually dropped several times. I'm wondering if 2 hours is too long to wait? Am I missing the spike? Or am I just eating the right foods - following LCHF to the letter!
I'd be very grateful for any advice on this, thanks in advance x

Reactions: 6 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello HelenMW, you are correct in your bs timings, but you may want to test 1 st before your feet hit the floor on waking, 2 nd before the first mouthful, then at 1 hr and again at 2 hrs this will give you a good picture of what your bs are doing
I'm not sure if you are lchf regime...but testing as described will alert you to any foods that spike you above 2= 3 mmols
If you are not getting any spikes ...your on the right track.well done.clive

Reactions: 2 people

HelenMW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hello HelenMW, you are correct in your bs timings, but you may want to test 1 st before your feet hit the floor on waking, 2 nd before the first mouthful, then at 1 hr and again at 2 hrs this will give you a good picture of what your bs are doing
I'm not sure if you are lchf regime...but testing as described will alert you to any foods that spike you above 2= 3 mmols
Thanks Clive, will try that.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like your LCHF is suiting you excellently! :D

I am absolutely terrible for running wee experiements on myself.
Can't seem to resist it.
So I think in your situation I would do as Clive says, and run a few 1hr after food tests, just to see if what is happening (although worth remembering that if we eat carbs, we always spike at around 1 hr, sometimes earlier, while if we aren't eating carbs, we sometimes spike with the protein instead, at around 2-3 hours)

I might also be doing a few controlled tests, just to see if I have a tolerance/intolerance for certain foods.
For me, I tolerate potatoes better than grains, and other root veg better than potatoes. So I get to eat potatoes as an occasional treat, but always avoid grains... if that makes sense?

Reactions: 3 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @HelenMW

It could be that you are doing really well. What are a couple of examples of the meals you have tested and the actual levels before and after?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The timing of the peak will vary depending on the combination of foods eaten. My peaks are generally between 1 and 2 hours, often around the 90 minute mark, but not always. I also find I often drop immediately after I start to eat, returning to where I was when I started to eat about half an hour later. (I know this through wearing a Libre sensor that records levels every 15 minutes plus whenever you scan it.) Perhaps do as suggested above and try some more frequent tests for a few days.

HelenMW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @HelenMW

It could be that you are doing really well. What are a couple of examples of the meals you have tested and the actual levels before and after?

HelenMW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
So for lunch yesterday, some ham, cheese and half an apple. 6.3 before and 6.4 after. Last night for tea home-made lamb, spinach and tomato meatballs with courgetti, tomato passata and a bit of mozarella - 6.7 before, 6.2 after. The night before I had a huge chicken salad - 6.3 before and 6.5 after. I'm utterly delighted with these results as I was regularly getting 17 to 20 when first diagnosed in January this year!

Reactions: 6 people

HelenMW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sounds like your LCHF is suiting you excellently! :D

I am absolutely terrible for running wee experiements on myself.
Can't seem to resist it.
So I think in your situation I would do as Clive says, and run a few 1hr after food tests, just to see if what is happening (although worth remembering that if we eat carbs, we always spike at around 1 hr, sometimes earlier, while if we aren't eating carbs, we sometimes spike with the protein instead, at around 2-3 hours)

I might also be doing a few controlled tests, just to see if I have a tolerance/intolerance for certain foods.
For me, I tolerate potatoes better than grains, and other root veg better than potatoes. So I get to eat potatoes as an occasional treat, but always avoid grains... if that makes sense?
Yes I know what you mean. I seem to be able to get away with a few root vegetables now and again and also apples!

Reactions: 4 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are doing brilliantly with you BG levels many here would die for levels like that. I wouldn't say you need to test more frequently the post meal 2 hour test is the best and many say that 1 hour after a meal is to soon Your levels are excellent so well done

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
So for lunch yesterday, some ham, cheese and half an apple. 6.3 before and 6.4 after. Last night for tea home-made lamb, spinach and tomato meatballs with courgetti, tomato passata and a bit of mozarella - 6.7 before, 6.2 after. The night before I had a huge chicken salad - 6.3 before and 6.5 after. I'm utterly delighted with these results as I was regularly getting 17 to 20 when first diagnosed in January this year!
@HelenMW
From a look at your diet and those results I think you have every right to be pleased with yourself. I wouldn't be worried about not having large spikes in fact again you should be very happy with that. I would keep your testing at 2 hours but no need to retest meals that you have already tested and did not spike. Its great to see you doing so well and I'm looking forward to see those levels drop even further

HelenMW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks so much everyone for your comments and encouragement. I feel like I'm on the right track and getting somewhere. I think the only way I can deal with it is to take control of it, as I know so many of you do. Early days yet and I've been off work since diagnosis with other health issues so finding it relatively easy while still in my little bubble of control. Could be very different when I go back to work and people are constantly bringing in cake and sweets but I reckon if I get into a good mindset now I should be able to cope when it comes to it. Thanks again, so glad I found these forums x

dietme10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I ll need to try this too.
Thanks