Confused newbie

minisumo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
A recent trip to the docs had me diagnosed as hypertensive, with a cholesterol level that's off the charts and borderline diabetic. So I signed up here to find help managing my blood sugar to avoid getting full blown diabetes (which the doc said could happen at any time). I've been researching the best way to manage all 3 conditions but the dietary advice is so contradictory I'm completely lost. So many sites say I should go on a low fat diet for my cholesterol, but I've been reading here that LCHF is a great way to manage both blood sugar and cholesterol. And then I read that low carb could be problematic for people with hypertension! The one constant is that I should be exercising 5 days a week (ha!).

I also read that in the UK a fasting glucose count of 5.6 mmol/L (which is what I have) is not considered pre-diabetic, but elsewhere it is.

I'm so confused!!

Basically I want to address all of these concerns as quickly as possible and I'm trying to find the best way to achieve that. I've been prescribed BP meds and statins which I'm taking but I really don't want to be on them for any longer than absolutely necessary. I know this is a diabetes forum and I may not even be considered pre diabetic (so maybe you'll all chase me with pitchforks and run me out of town), but any advice would be hugely appreciated.

P.S. A bit of family history - my dad is T2 and recently had a triple heart bypass at the age of 60, and I definitely inherited his genes.

P.P.S. I was kidding about the pitchforks

Reactions: PreDiet and kumera

Mark_1

If the one constant is exercise, find a way to fit it into your life. Start by walking.
Cholesterol is more down to genes that diet. Most of it is made in the body by the liver rather than the foods you eat. In your case and from what your saying, Think of it as Low Carb Healthy Fats, not just any fats.

Reactions: minisumo

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I decided that the high blood glucose level was the most pressing thing and so did low carb, as per Dr Atkins, and my results were normal - but my cholesterol went down - so much for it being down to fat in the diet. I don't know what my doctor thinks - he isn't interested in finding out what I did or why my results are so good.
If you eat low carb you will probably find that you want to go out and do things far more often, so the exercise will not be a problem.

Robkww

I went low carb healthy fat and improved blood sugar to non diabetic levels, lowered cholesterol and improved ratios markedly, lost weight and stepped up my exercise, as I felt better in myself, to around 150 minutes good exercise a week - all in 6 months and no more pills. Do the research and then get started with what you think will work for you - measure all aspects and look for improvement in blood sugar, weight (if an issue), fitness and general demeanor - with a fair wind cholesterol should follow the positive trend!

Mumneedshelp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Exercise
I was told by my nurse that people who do not have diabetes have a level of about 6, so if your levels are less then it would seem you are normal, that's if my nurse is right of course

minisumo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
It's really good to learn from other people's experiences and what they've found works well for them (albeit we're all different) so thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. Even though blood sugar isn't as immediate a concern as the cholesterol, I think I'll give LCHF a go to try and manage both, and I'll just keep a close eye on my BP. Hoping I can turn things around as successfully and as quickly as some of you have.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cigarette smoking and consumption of alcohol.
Brisk walking for 30 minutes everyday will reduce your hypertension (high blood pressure) and dyslipidemia (high cholesterol level).

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
. And then I read that low carb could be problematic for people with hypertension!

I had the opposite effect with LCHF

I am on medication but my BP had crept up slowly and there were mutterings about extra medication

I started LCHF to get a grip on the diabetes - one month in my BP had dropped to normal levels - was taken twice as HCP didn't believe the reading!

We are all different so obviously do what suits you - well done for taking charge of your health :)

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Welcome to the forum @minisumo. I would endorse the advice given above, sort out the diet and a form of exercise that fits with you and the rest will tend to follow. If your body is used to a lot of carbs through the day then you may feel worse before you start to feel better, but persevere and the results are worth the effort. Increase your exercise regime a bit at a time. I found that a simple spreadsheet helped me to monitor my exercise, bg levels and diet with a few notes about my mood that day. Other people may find a different solution but I found that it was easier to spot trends and patterns.