Confused

Bigkt1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all my name is kieran I'm a new diabetic for 3 months now iv got a question if some one could answer it for me or give me advice I was taken into hospital with weight loss dry mouth n peeing a lot my blood sugars were at 26 the hospital team weren't sure if I was type 1 or 2 as I'm 35 n not over weight n reasonable fit I was eatting a lot off junk around diganosed date so I was put on 8ml off novaraped 3 times a day and 17ml off lantus at night from iv started the insillen iv been hypo a lot right after injecting I phoned my nurse he droped the night down to 16ml from then I couldn't get a hold of him n iv downed my dosage I'm now at 4ml 3 times a day n 15ml at night I hypoed today again my carb intake is supposed to be 50g with 8ml of insulin I'm eatting 80g with 4ml to stop hypo when the hypo happened I went down to 2.8bs I drank a full bottle off lucozade a full snickers 4 sandwiches 2 rich tea biscuits and a banana my bs went up to 10 and without any insulin an hour later it was down again to 4.8. Today I phoned the hospital and the doc on call said that I could be a type 2 and need to come off the day insulin and just injected myself at night but speek to my nurse well iv just found out that my nurse no longer works there n it's a bank holiday to lol could you give me your thoughts on this please

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's units of insulin, not mililitres/ml. So you're on 4 units of novorapid three times a day and 15 units of lantus.

Are you taking your novorapid with meals or are you just taking it at arbitrary times of day?

You could have been incorrectly diagnosed and you might be type 2. You could be type 1 and honeymooning. They can perform certain tests to look into the type of diabetes. A cpeptide test can be done to see if you are producing your own insulin. This doesn't tell you if you are type 1 or 2 though because while a type 2 diabetic would be expected to be producing insulin if their beta cells are totally worn out they might not be and a newly diagnosed honeymooning type 1 diabetic will be producing insulin because that's what the honeymoon is. A GAD test can be done to see if you have antibodies associated with type 1 (it's an autoimmune disease), a positive gad test will mean you're definitely type 1, but a negative gad test is not definitive as about 25% of type 1 diabetics are gad negative.

A basal dose of 15 units isn't an insignificant dose for someone newly diagnosed. I think a bit of basal testing might be worth considering.

The advice to stop all bolus insulin seems rather hasty when you could just reduce it, or preferably learn to carb count with it. If you follow that advice keep a close eye on blood sugar with pre and post prandial tests. If youre supposed to be covering 50g of carbs with 8units of insulin that's 1 unit to cover 6gs of carbs. 1:6 is a very high insulin:carb ratio for someone newly diagnosed. You say you're doing 1:20 at the moment (that's what 4 units to cover 80g of carbs works or at) you migh find that needs reducing further to 1:25 or 1:30.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi all my name is kieran I'm a new diabetic for 3 months now iv got a question if some one could answer it for me or give me advice I was taken into hospital with weight loss dry mouth n peeing a lot my blood sugars were at 26 the hospital team weren't sure if I was type 1 or 2 as I'm 35 n not over weight n reasonable fit I was eatting a lot off junk around diganosed date so I was put on 8ml off novaraped 3 times a day and 17ml off lantus at night from iv started the insillen iv been hypo a lot right after injecting I phoned my nurse he droped the night down to 16ml from then I couldn't get a hold of him n iv downed my dosage I'm now at 4ml 3 times a day n 15ml at night I hypoed today again my carb intake is supposed to be 50g with 8ml of insulin I'm eatting 80g with 4ml to stop hypo when the hypo happened I went down to 2.8bs I drank a full bottle off lucozade a full snickers 4 sandwiches 2 rich tea biscuits and a banana my bs went up to 10 and without any insulin an hour later it was down again to 4.8. Today I phoned the hospital and the doc on call said that I could be a type 2 and need to come off the day insulin and just injected myself at night but speek to my nurse well iv just found out that my nurse no longer works there n it's a bank holiday to lol could you give me your thoughts on this please
Always take novorapid before meals. I find this is best for me, as the insulin begins to take effect approximately 30 minutes after injection (somewhat faster if you are very active). You are on a low dose, so it should be easy to monitor results. Keep a diary of what you consume along with dosage. This will help to keep track of your progress. Above all keep a record of hypos, times, dates and BGL.

Bigkt1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi thanks for getting back to me I do carb count I have that app on my phone carbs n Cals my food intake is supposed to be 50gs for breakfast with 8 units 2 hours later 15gs 2 hours after that 90gs of carbs for lunch with 8 units 2 hours later a 15gs of carbs 2 hours after 100gs of carbs then at night lantus with 15gs off carbs but instead off this I to eat more carbs 80carbs with 4units 90carbs 4 units 100carbs 4 units plus all the 15 gs as snacks but who in the he'll eats so much if I drop.my carb intake il have to drop insulin intake which means il be injecting maybe 1 or 2 units 3 times a day ?

Bigkt1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all I got in contact with my new diabetic nurse today regarding all the hypos iv been taking they have now stopped my intake off nova rapid iv no longer to take insulin threw the day but still take 15 units off lantus at night iv to do this on till Fri today's Tuesday