Confused!

Peanut2017

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Hi so I’m very confused with what is happening to me.

I was diagnosed with Gestational diabetes at 36weeks pregnant last year after symptoms of dry mouth, urinating lots particularly at night and extreme tiredness for about 4 weeks after a virus. Glucose was discovered in my urine. Gtt fasting 4.8mmol, 2 hour test 12mmols hb1ac 39. Managed to control it with diet. My daughter never measured big and was born 7pound 12 healthy.

After delivery still getting unusual sugars 11.1 mmols hour after a pizza, 9.2mmols 2 hours(this was 10 days post partum). Continued to follow GD diet low gi parcelling my carbs out throughout the day. Had a gtt about 4 months post partum fasting 4.2mmols, 2 hour post grandial 5.7mmols. I was very confused as I thought I’d fail it. Hb1ac 35.

Had post partum thyroidistis (hyper only) lost over 3 and half stone in 12 weeks. Now that has resolved but in 7 months I’ve lost 5 and half stone (baby within that weight though). I’m also still breast feeding.

7months post partum still having these high sugars particularly hour post grandial.... 1 x large fajita wrap chicken salad 9.7mmol an hour but normal sugar level at 2 hours. 1x slice of toast and a pear 8.4mmol, normal sugar an hour later.
Got referred to Endo. Endo consultant states this sugars are normal I just have high spikes..... he thinks as I’ve got now a bmi 21, no family history and no other risk factors I’d be unlikely to get diabetes in the future even with these sugars and with GD as long as I stay lean. He advises stop testing and live my life just a yearly Hb1ac. My Hb1ac is 29 however I feel a lot of this is to do with the fact I parcel out my carbs throughout the day not to get these large spikes.

I’ve read Some research and these high spikes state I’m more likely to get diabetes. I’ve decided to treat myself as prediabetic. What does everyone else think? I could understand more with these sugars if i sat sat and ate pizza chips followed by cake and ice cream but I don’t. I have a feeling my first phase of insulin is off. Anyone else in the similar boat or had this happen to them.

Thanks

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was a full blown diabetic, as my diagnostic Hba1c was 91.
I had two babies - quite some time ago now, both over 9lb at birth but I have always, from my early 20s needed to eat low carb to stop weight gain.
My doctor almost had a fit when he found out that I had gone all through my first pregnancy low carbing and was past the second tri of my second baby - threatened me with hospital to be 'fed properly' if I did not follow the diet sheet - almost killed me. I had pre-eclampsia and it was only because there was no bed available that I had to go back after the weekend - I dropped all the cereal bread and potatoes from my meals and lied to him about why I felt better and my symptoms were reduced. I am sure that for some people the modern diet is just wrong. I eat 40 to 50gm of carbs a day and I am better than fine. At the age of 66 I am thinking of going back to teaching, because I am ignoring medical advice, once again, and not eating the 'cholesterol lowering' high starch foods. My diet is the same now as for whenever I could get away with it, which I did manage for decades.
I avoid processed foods, in the main, eat lots of fresh veges, modest amounts of low carb fruit, Lidl protein rolls are my only 'bread' and I have maybe 4 in a week. no grain, no potatoes - it is not us that are wrong, it is the diet, I am sure of it, and if I'd been tested years ago I'd have shown some signs of wrong-ness. I used to get symptoms of hypoglycemia in my early 20s, so something has been not right for a long time.
By eating fewer carbs hopefully your pp readings will not spike so high - some rise is to be expected and is normal - but it does look as though your insulin reaction is slow - and if you continue to have high readings, things are not going to get better.
I breast fed on low carb foods - my firstborn was always in the top 10 percentile - he's about a foot taller than me, so I don't think that he was lacking anything.

Reactions: Olufisayo

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to stick my neck out here and say I don't think your post meal levels are anything but normal. There are no official guidelines for levels at one hour post meal, but everyone will spike at that time if any carbs are involved. It is normal. The difference between non-diabetics and T2s is the time it takes to come back down again - non-diabetics come down within 2 hours and this is just what you are doing. As long as you are back by 2 hours and don't drop too low after that, I can't see you have any reason to worry.