Confused

Norteme

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve just seen my GP and mentioned my prediabetes and that id gone on low carb diet, starting losing weight, doing more exercise and checking my blood sugar regularly. He then said there’s no need to check my blood as the measurement is pretty meaningless for type 2 diabetes. Well it’s already helped me identify foods that affect me so I’m going to ignore him. Has anyone else been told these measurements are meaningless??

Reactions: Happyhomelands

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
He's completely wrong

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would think that a majority of HCP’s would agree with your GP, unfortunately.

As @Mike D says, they are completely wrong.

Without measuring you cannot tell what your BG level is.

Without knowing the level you will never know what is affecting it.

When you know that you can do something about it.

Knowledge is power.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve just seen my GP and mentioned my prediabetes and that id gone on low carb diet, starting losing weight, doing more exercise and checking my blood sugar regularly. He then said there’s no need to check my blood as the measurement is pretty meaningless for type 2 diabetes. Well it’s already helped me identify foods that affect me so I’m going to ignore him. Has anyone else been told these measurements are meaningless??

Just about all of us! Carry on regardless, and ignore him.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My GP says the same. I’m sure it’s just to save the NHS money as if they agreed they’d have to prescribe and fund the strips and lancets. It’s a short sighted approach as those of us that use monitoring to stay well will save the NHS so much in the future.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Norteme - To to frank, I don't think some medics actually understand what we are doing, and how we go about our testing and adjusting.

When I took a medic to task over the "meaningless testing", his response was along the lines of, "well, if you get a high number, you can't correct it in any way"; meaning we couldn't give a correction dose, like an insulin user might be able to.

When I further explained we might eat a smaller portion of the food next time, or avoid it altogether, he seemed astonished anybody would do that.

That was a Consultant Endocrinologist. To be fair, it was in a social setting, so it would have been inappropriate to have pressed on and on about it.

Reactions: linda4amici