Confused

Sharlieboo

Hi,

Don't know where to begin really but will try to summarise. I was diagnosed as T2 last Dec. Have been tested every 3 months ever since and despite overhauling my diet and having meds increased a couple of times, my long range blood tests have yet to be below 9.2. I'm currently on gliclazide and prolonged release metformin which are taken with breakfast and at dinner time - usually about 7pm.

There was a query recently as to whether I am T2 or early onset 1 or have some other type of diabetes. I'm awaiting blood test results but had been told to test twice a day, at random before mealtimes. I find the results really confusing. I had hoped to readings would help me to understand where I might be going wrong food wise. I have tried to be very good (bar a few treats at the weekend) and have also limited carb intake. However, the results aren't helping me and I'm just wondering if anyone could shed any light?

Very basically before breakfast my readings have been the highest - often ranging 9 - 13. Before lunch they've been in the 7 - 8 range. I've had readings as low as 4.3 before dinner but often around the 6 - 9 range. Before bed usually around 7 - 10.

What I don't understand is why my readings are so high in the morning when that is the longest time without eating and drinking ... and why higher than before going to bed?

I'm also confused as to why I feel worse with the lower ranges of readings - the 4 - 6 range. I tend to feel headachey and quite shaky but I thought that around 5 was a 'good' level to be at?

I know I'll get my answers when I see my gp with the readings in just over a week's time and when the blood test results are in at the hospital but I am puzzled in the meantime. Any advice?

Sharlie

jane22

Hi there someone with more knowledge than me will come along and explain it properly I'm sure. You will probably find that because your body is used to the higher readings when you dip down into the 4's you will get a false hypo because you aren't used to being there. A hypo is officially below 4. When i first got under control it would hit me anytime i was under 4.5. I'm better now but am still aware when it is going down towards 4 which I think is no bad thing. The morning highs are due to the dawn phenomenon which is basically your liver dumping some glucose on you to get you going for the day except us diabetics dont need that. I get it a bit and have got it to go down from high 6's to 5 something by eating an oatcake slice of cheese and butter before bed. As you are quite high before bed anyway I'm not sure if this would be a sensible thing for you to do but maybe someone else could advise on that.