confusing glucose results

sharron 64

Type of diabetes
LADA
I had a glucose blood test last week, the results came back today which were 14.6 fasten and 10.1 2 hours later,the doctors are puzzled, and i have to go back next week. However. the nurse that called me today said that the doctor said that although the results were slightly high, as well as the previous tests, you are not diabetic or pre diabetic, just watch what you eat tho. What the hell is going on, i have had 3 blood tests now, the first one 8.4, 2nd 7.00 and the last one 14.6. I have already complained to the doctor about blurred vision which i really worry about, however i was given viscodrops, as the doctor said you have dry eye. I really hope i do not have diabetes, but i want to been diagnosed correctly, as my eyes are a worry to me and if i am diabetic i have a very good chance of losing my sight. I have now seen 2 doctors within my practice, both given me diffrent diagnoses, one saying i am pre diabetic the other saying not at all. Can anyone think how the glucose test came back lower than the fasten test.

raffajaffa

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
gooseberries fish, medium to hot spices, strong alcohol as it does not agree with my liver
Hi and first advice, Dont panic.
Having read your other posting and the replies,it seems you have been diagnosed with autoimune disease?
This wasnt mentioned above.
It is probable that this is the main factor for slightly unstable readings.
Take it from me you are only just out of a normal range and probably heading towards a diabetic condition which
at first may be controlled with just a tablet.
Firstly ,do no think of everything as simple black or white. Consider the Diabetisc state as rungs on a ladder as a condition and
not a disease.ie you blood sugars are slightly higher at times than the medical people would like.
The higher up this ladder the greater the amount of corrective effort needed to get things under control.
Your readings and everyone elses readings go up and down ALL THE TIME especially after eating and quite simply its not just what you eat but how your body (especially your liver) is working in harmony with the pancreas etc etc.
Spikes of blood sugar are happening all the time and different foods produce higher and or longer spikes of high sugar readings and excercise can burn these up quickly. The Hba readings is a better guide.

Everyone is different and you may spend years learning finding out what agrees with you and what is causing you problems.
Your body is not a simple machine and may just get lucky on this forum if someone else with similair symptoms can suggest alternatives or an answer.
The more you read up about diabetes you will find many people and even Doctors (like mine) can get things wrong or you misunderstand their diagnosis slightly by looking for black / white..Opinions are changing all the time as to where/when to start corrective treatment and even the medicines used are suspect to certain people. This doesnt mean you.
ie I cannot take metformin tablet or Lantus as an insulin.Yet I was on avandia for a while with good results.It killed quite a lot of patients?
One interesting comment about fasting results (12 hours no food just water?) I am still averaging over 10.If I eat cheese before the 12 hour start I am up to 13.5 average.Next day same test, I am down to 8.5. Lesson...I am not a machine.
Alos I depends on the cheese?..and probably what I ate before the cheese. .
Suggest you stay off fatty foods if you do eat such stuff.That takes approx 10 times longer or 10 times as much insulin to break down to normal levels with me.
Others may differ.