Conned

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went into Morrison's supermarket this morning and right in front of me is Coca Life. I looked and saw it was stating that it is reduced calorie with sweeteners from natural sources. The sweetener is Stevia which is a lot better than Aspartame. I bought a six pack £ 2.60. Removed the packaging at home and the information on the can stated 22g carb per can. How can they promote this as reduced calorie? And why "waste" a good sweetener in a high carb drink? I spent over &40 in the store and forgot to redeem my £3 voucher. Not a good day.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is always wise to check the labels on any product advertising low or reduced anything. They are mostly cons.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Take it back .. Not fit for purpose

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The information on the packaging about the carb count is about half the size - difficult to read without glasses - of the Information about reduced calories and the fact that sweeteners are from a natural source. Why can't they put Stevia into a no carb drink just like they did with aspartame?

A

AnnieC

I went into Morrison's supermarket this morning and right in front of me is Coca Life. I looked and saw it was stating that it is reduced calorie with sweeteners from natural sources. The sweetener is Stevia which is a lot better than Aspartame. I bought a six pack £ 2.60. Removed the packaging at home and the information on the can stated 22g carb per can. How can they promote this as reduced calorie? And why "waste" a good sweetener in a high carb drink? I spent over &40 in the store and forgot to redeem my £3 voucher. Not a good day.
I suppose it is how the manufacturers define low carb Do we only see low carb in relation to how many we eat ourselves and not what they consider to be low carb

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would still take it back .... But then I get the wife to do it and she can bamboozle anyone into giving her a refund .. Under the not fit for purpose .. Or trades description . Via misleading information .. If that's not working then she says will and will go to the local news paper with the story that they are misleading customers, then asks for a statement from the store manager along with a photograph of the manager standing next to the product ... That never fails ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had a look at the Coca Life website. It is reduced calorie/reduced sugar, but only compared to the full coca cola drink

• Coca‑Cola = 42 calories per 100ml
  • Coca‑Cola Life = 27 calories per 100ml
  • Coca‑Cola Zero = Less than 1 calorie per 100ml
  • Diet Coke = Less than 1 calorie per 100ml

C

catherinecherub

You were conned as you say.

This new coke with the green label is marketed as a better option than the full sugar coke but has more calories than the diet one.

Stevia, a natural sweetener derived from a species of plants native to South America, Central America and Mexico, is sweeter than sugar but has no calories. Coca-Cola Life will have about half the calories of regular Coke.
Experts, however, question if soft drinks made with stevia are truly a healthy option for people suffering from obesity and diabetes. Following the Sprite announcement, Dr. Sharon R. Akabas, a director at Columbia University’s Institute of Human Nutrition, told The Huffington Post that she was concerned by the couching of the stevia-sweetened beverage against the backdrop of Coca-Cola's anti-obesity campaign. "It gives the impression that [drinking stevia Sprite] is a really healthy thing to do," she said, "but it's still ... calories of sugar, which has no nutrients."

Coca-Cola's decision to release a stevia-sweetened cola is especially interesting in light of recent comments by PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi. "Stevia unfortunately does not work well in colas," she said in May.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/28/coca-cola-life_n_3516512.htm

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not bothered about the money. I have had four zero calorie drinks in the last five months because of the aspartame scare information. I perked up a bit because I thought I could enjoy a zero calorie drink again with thinking about whether it is good or bad for you.

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
The sweeteners are all numbered now, 950 or there abouts and because it is the quantity that matters they have halved the quantity by using two numbers so you only get half of each different sweetener. It is just a ploy to keep the worriers happy, none of it will do any harm in the quantities that can be consumed.

Just imagine a class action against coke - Nah they can't afford it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Provided you've kept the receipt Morrison's will take them back.

A

AnnieC

How do we define what exactly is low carb when it comes to the manufactor of food stuffs
.If you compare say bread one loaf may have lower carbs than another but does that make it low carb, bakers may say yes it does just because the other loaf is higher. Is that how it works for manufacturers do they see it as the majority of foods have carbs in various amounts and it is up to us how much we eat of them to keep our diets low carb There does not seem to be any criteria that they have to comply with to be able to say something is low carb

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
My taste buds have always protected me from such stuff.

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
I bought 11 kg bag of coconut flour so I just have to find uses for it now.

BTW
The coconut diet is known as the KOMPLETE Diet and Exercise program.

#1 Climb tree (puff puff try again)
#2 De-husk coconuts (puff puff try again)
#3 Eat all of the nut including the husk for fibre
#4 Finish with a nice drink of coconut milk.

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not to side with a supermarket or anything but... You say it stated reduced calorie which is true compared to the full fat version, did it say anything about carbs tho?

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The aspartame scare is unfounded, do a google for the wiki entry. Over 100 tests done on it and none found a problem unless you had a rare illness. It was a conspiracy spread via the net.

Ali

Reactions: 4 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Not to side with a supermarket or anything but... You say it stated reduced calorie which is true compared to the full fat version, did it say anything about carbs tho?

I count calories, to me that usually means I have the low fat option, and look at what carbs are there, and decide if I can eat/drink it. I don't like artificial sweeteners, so I'll probably give this one a shot. Whether I would waste the calories on a soft drink regularly is another matter.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the moral for us is never to think calories (irrelevant) but think carbs

I count calories as well as carbs. For me it is essential. I wanted to ensure I lost weight, which I did. Now I have to ensure I maintain it. It is so easy on a low carb/increased fat diet to overdo the fat calories.