constant hunger

michaelp1888

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All
Im newly diagnosed with type 2 and am on 500mg metformin twice daily since being put on the medication I am always hungry and cant satisfy it has anyone else experienced this

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
What exactly are you eating?

Reactions: 2 people

michaelp1888

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks Dawn I am eating 3 wheetabix for breakfast anything i can lay my hands on before tea time normal tea eg mince and potatoes veg curry and chips sausage and chips then 2 slice of toast ion the evening before bed but inbetween this i am always hungry cant control the hunger

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Absolutely. Never really had much of an appetite until I started metformin, now I'm constantly hungry. I've tried varying my diet to see what makes me feel fuller for longer (within the sugar/carb boundaries) but nothing really works. Seems worse in the evening for some reason.

michaelp1888

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Vanessa thats it exactly always worse at night i am trying to resist the hunger but it is getting hard and dont know how much longer I can fight with it

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Trouble is, the more we eat (especially high carb stuff like bread and spuds etc) the higher our sugars get and the hungrier we feel. It's a rotten vicious circle.
I try to eat things like strawberries or raspberries with a generous dollop of yoghurt. That satisfies my hunger - for a while at least- and doesn't send my bg sky high.
Also found that if I manage to eat slowly (must admit I tend to wolf my meals) that helps a bit too.

michaelp1888

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ha ha like you Vanessa I woolf my food down my diabetic nurse tried to warn me off fruit as they are high in natural sugars I may try the youghurt idea though thanks

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Always thought that metformin was meant to be in an appetite suppressant, At least that was what my experience with it has been.

How have your sugar levels been behaving? Could it be that your body has got used to running at high glucose levels and now that your lower it responds with false hypos that you interpret as hunger.

We are all different, but actually, if I had three wheatabix or chips. I would be worried about glucose spikes rather than lows. Have you tried eating less carbs. Perhaps the carbs are causing a high insulin release from your pancreas and the insulin is causing the feelings of hunger now that the metformin allows you to use it more efficiently.

I suggest that you give it a try for a period. And see if it makes a difference.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
[
Hi All
Im newly diagnosed with type 2 and am on 500mg metformin twice daily since being put on the medication I am always hungry and cant satisfy it has anyone else experienced this
You can get through it.
I found that working out a portion controlled diet worked for me. That way I knew what I was having, knew when the next food was coming, and could resist the urge for an hour or two between meals. Cut down portion size slowly, and you can re-educate yourself to eat less.
But it's not overnight.
I would also say the Weetabix, the chips, potatoes rice, toast are probably causing high bs, and you should look at alternatives.

michaelp1888

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Douglas I will try this I havent much of an idea of where to start with this I need to learn how to find out how to work out portions etc not sure what is the right types of food and what is not im more used to eating what I fancied no matter what the consequencies where but since being diagnosed it has given me a reallity check but i am clueless

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks Douglas I will try this I havent much of an idea of where to start with this I need to learn how to find out how to work out portions etc not sure what is the right types of food and what is not im more used to eating what I fancied no matter what the consequencies where but since being diagnosed it has given me a reallity check but i am clueless

I ate what I wanted, and almost continuously previously.
The wake up call came, when I was diagnosed.
It was an endoscopy that make me realise I could survive for a day without having to eat.
After that, I went on a low calorie, low GI diet, which I lost 4 stone on, and still portion control now.
I feel hungry when it's time to eat, I now realise a lot of the previous time it was just habit, or boredom.

michaelp1888

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think your right Douglas we are creatures of habit need to work out and learn im not always hungry or in need of food thanks for your advice you have given me a few good ideas to think about

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
lf you are a standard t2 no other problems have a read of the low carb forum.

l have 2 scrambled eggs for breakfast sometimes have some bacon with it and am not hungry till lunch

Salad and cheese and some thin peperami at lunch and raspberries and cream...stopped yogurt as spiking me despite only about 3g carbs/100g product.

Dinner a meat of some sort with veg usually 2 sorts about 50gram each.

Carbs n cals is an excellent book full size not pocket. Not sure on the app..

A digital scales to weigh each type of food

And you definatly need a meter to see what is happening with your bloods

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
There's lots of different diets on here.
Low carb
Low GI
Low GL
Portion control,
among others,
and then a mix of all.

All show some restraint though, the trick is to get a diet that suits you, as things do change at diagnosis, and you can't eat as you did.
I used to have two scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, mushrooms, tomatoes, at breakfast, and could happily eat again shortly after.
Now it's two ryvita, with low fat cheese and a bit of ham.
We can change.

You need to find foods that don't raise your bs, and ideally a meter shows you which foods you are good with, and which cause spikes.
If you haven't had one off your doctor, it's worthwhile buying your own.

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Racists or hatred. Disrespect for people.
I'm on metformin and I don't find it stops me feeling hungry at all ..I thought I was a bit odd as it made me feel hungry..I'm trying my best to low carb

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I was always told that metformin helped to suppress appetites but as usual, diabetes love to break the rules !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
How have your sugar levels been behaving? Could it be that your body has got used to running at high glucose levels and now that your lower it responds with false hypos that you interpret as hunger.

Have you tried eating less carbs. Perhaps the carbs are causing a high insulin release from your pancreas and the insulin is causing the feelings of hunger now that the metformin allows you to use it more efficiently.

Two very good points there.

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
I know metformin is supposed to suppress appetite - perhaps those of us who get an increased appetite are experiencing the paradoxical effect that all drugs can have - lucky us eh!
As far as fruit is concerned, some do need to be given a bit of a wide berth, but I think that berries are ok.
The other guys have given you great advice and having a good look at the forums/threads is the best advice of all.
Good luck with those damned munchies!

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Racists or hatred. Disrespect for people.
Hi what did help me and still does was writing down what I eat ..then you can see what needs changing and do a weeks meal plan to help you keep to it and only buy what's on the list..its hard going but there's lots of nice foods to try from