Constantly hungry

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 34 years old, type 2. I was diagnosed may 2008. 10 weeks ago I started on humulin I. I am now on humalog. I take 20 units of humulin I in the morning and at night, and I'm on 6 units of humalog at lunch and dinner. I'm constantly hungry all the time. Any advice?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
whats your blood sugar levels sitting at when you test.....?

being high can actually make you feel hungry as your cells wont be getting the energy they need therefore your brain sends out hunger signals.......

generally though its probably just your body and metabolism adjusting to different medications going in.....

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My blood sugars are between 14/18 in morning, I don't have breakfast as not hungry in morning. I'm at 16/20 before lunch which today was spinach, chicken and tomatoes. After it was 17. Before my tea I was at 22.0 and I've had lamb cabbage, sprouts and 3 small roast potatoes and 2 small Yorkshire puddings. Other times I will eat salad, eggs and ryvita. And as a main meal it can be curry, spaghetti bowl, jacket potatoes or fish. I nearly always cook from scratch so I know what goes in.

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One thing that helps me when I am very hungry is to cut out the carbs. Carbs tend to fill me up in a meal, but leave me hungry quite soon again. In your description these would be the potatoes, Yorkshire puddings, pasta and breads such as Ryvita. If you eat rice with the curry, that too.

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
One thing that helps me when I am very hungry is to cut out the carbs. Carbs tend to fill me up in a meal, but leave me hungry quite soon again. In your description these would be the potatoes, Yorkshire puddings, pasta and breads such as Ryvita. If you eat rice with the curry, that too.
Ok this might be worth a try, but would I have a hypo if there's no carbs?

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok this might be worth a try, but would I have a hypo if there's no carbs?
I don't think we T2s have hypos, only false hypos. (I'll be corrected sharpish if wrong ;))
Many of us eat very few carbs and at least one member on here eats no carbs at all. But we obviously need energy so the fuel we use instead is fat. Eating fat instead of carbs doesn't make you fat. We each have to find a balance.
I used to be hungry a lot but I now think I was just craving more carbs (like after a Chinese meal ... you know?) I'm hardly ever hungry now but I do enjoy my food, yum :)
PS I'm not on any diabetes meds and I'm very thin so not the same as some.

Reactions: 2 people

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think we T2s have hypos, only false hypos. (I'll be corrected sharpish if wrong ;))
Many of us eat very few carbs and at least one member on here eats no carbs at all. But we obviously need energy so the fuel we use instead is fat. Eating fat instead of carbs doesn't make you fat. We each have to find a balance.
I used to be hungry a lot but I now think I was just craving more carbs (like after a Chinese meal ... you know?) I'm hardly ever hungry now but I do enjoy my food, yum :)
PS I'm not on any diabetes meds and I'm very thin so not the same as some.
Ok but I'm on a lot of meds, I am in contact with my DSN a least once a week and she says we do hypo. I've had 2 since my diagnosis in 2008, one I felt really ill and didn't realize it was a hypo. The second time I was down to 2.9 and had no symptoms. When I was diagnosed I was 16.8 stone I'm now down to 12 stone so still overweight, I don't want to put on weight eating fat.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ok but I'm on a lot of meds, I am in contact with my DSN a least once a week and she says we do hypo. I've had 2 since my diagnosis in 2008, one I felt really ill and didn't realize it was a hypo. The second time I was down to 2.9 and had no symptoms. When I was diagnosed I was 16.8 stone I'm now down to 12 stone so still overweight, I don't want to put on weight eating fat.

You only hypo when on blood glucose lowering drugs unless you have a hypoglycaemic condition. There is others but that is the main one.

There is a lot of things that make your bloods fluctuate, like stress.

And you won't get fat eating full fat especially animal fats!

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You only hypo when on blood glucose lowering drugs unless you have a hypoglycaemic condition. There is others but that is the main one.

There is a lot of things that make your bloods fluctuate, like stress.

And you won't get fat eating full fat especially animal fats!
Hi, yes I'm on humulin I and humalog and metformin. Would the fats be meat that I can eat, is there anything else?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, yes I'm on humulin I and humalog and metformin. Would the fats be meat that I can eat, is there anything else?

I'm not sure how those affect your bloods, as I don't need insulin.
Yes, it is meat fats, or natural fats like coconut oil.
Eat plenty of protein, as in fish, eggs, meat and reduce your carbs!

Reactions: 2 people

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure how those affect your bloods, as I don't need insulin.
Yes, it is meat fats, or natural fats like coconut oil.
Eat plenty of protein, as in fish, eggs, meat and reduce your carbs!
Thank you for this, it sounds like something I could do.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you for this, it sounds like something I could do.

Have a read around the forum especially the low carb forum.
There is some great ideas and recipes.
If you like dairy, it would be better to eat butter, cream and Greek full fat yoghurt.

Stay away from spreads and anything that is low fat or reduced or nil fat. As the fat is replaced by sugars!!

Reactions: 4 people